Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2005, 01:13 AM

Default Godlovesme/Godlovesmenot

I'm relatively new to the 5/10 6 max. I played my first 4k hands this week and got a kickass 7.96 bb/100. I was like wow, I should have started this [censored] earlier. Then yesterday in one day, I dropped a grand(probably a good portion due to tilt after losing with AKo AA AA QQ JJ all in a span of 15 minutes). My winrate over 5k hands is 4.9 which is still incredibly high. I've been warned dozen of times this isn't going to last. Generally when you have such a bad player at your table, but you know that you are tilting do you still play? Thats what I felt like yesterday. I'm tilting, but my tilt play is still better than that guys regular play. lol.
Old 06-28-2005, 02:02 AM

Default Re: Godlovesme/Godlovesmenot

One of my biggest leaks used to be staying at tables where I felt I *should* be winning because the play was *so* bad, but the bad beats kept prohibiting me. I get up and leave if I start to slide at any table, no matter how juicy it seems. This has helped me tremendously.
Old 06-28-2005, 02:05 AM

I think this new strategy could be one of your biggest leaks now. Leaving a horrible table because you are running bad is so -ev for all but the tiltiest players.

-Mike
Old 06-28-2005, 02:10 AM

I disagree. I often used to get too attached to the wrong tables: too many maniacs, too few passive fish. Maniacs are great, but maniacs plus being on tilt = not so great.

If I take a 5 min break and start fresh at a new juicy table that I've been mining, that seems to work much better. Surely if one could, under all circumstances, accurately evaluate the value of a table and play perfectly under all conditions, you would be correct in saying that it is +EV to stay. This is just what works for me from a psychological standpoint.
Old 06-28-2005, 05:14 AM

Nothing like running bad and then tilting to leave you down a thousand in a few hundred hands. If you find you can't control yourself, then just stop. Well I never know when I can't control myself either, but I have found some leaks in my game by going over hands during my downswings.

The biggest problem I have is over-valuing my hands. Usually the tables you'll get destroyed at or be caused to tilt upon are those with laggy and/or maniacal players. It's easy to get sucked into maniacal play yourself if you've suffered a few beats from these players. I find that I push to hard on the turn and river with hands such as JJ - AA and TPTK, re-raising check-raises and stuff in these situations even when there are evident draws on board, and thus take huge losses to weird drawing hands, two-pair, and the occasional outright better starting hand. The key to beating very loose aggressive players is to play more marginal hands for value against them, not to over-value a few really good starting hands on later streets when the board and the action says you are possibly beaten. When I play this way, I tend to think that, "I've got to make up all that money I've lost those last few hands with this QQ (or whatever good - great starting hand) and bet too aggressively in the face of raises and re-raise and end up getting hammered.

Maybe this doesn't apply to you, but both my roommate and I have this same problem and it would surprise me if alot of other posters didn't at some point or another also.
Old 06-28-2005, 09:32 AM

what he said
Old 06-28-2005, 12:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think this new strategy could be one of your biggest leaks now. Leaving a horrible table because you are running bad is so -ev for all but the tiltiest players.

[/ QUOTE ]
I disagree and think it is best to leave and find another table when you are running badly at a particular table. I think this is true even though the table includes horrible players. There are two reasons why. First, even horrible players get runs where they win hand after hand. Second, when they are winning hand after hand and you are losing hand after hand, the players at the table give you no respect. They raise and call down with marginal hands just because of your image at that table. My experience is that it is best to start over at a new table. There are plenty of tables with horrible players.
Old 06-28-2005, 03:24 PM

Aside from the idea of tilt, your table image is also important. You may not be able to get a maniac to lay down bottom pair when you bet the flop after PF rasing. However, if you have a good table image you might get some of the others to lay down TPWK, 2d pair, draws, etc. Losing a lot at a table kills your image and thus a good deal of profit from others laying down their hands.

My greatest session losses have usually come from ignoring the adage to leave the table after dropping 30+BB. If the players are mainly the same, your table image is probably weak.