Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2005, 10:27 AM

Default Small Blind Blues

I had not done any hand anaylisis with my tracker software for quite some time. I check out my last month and I had won.

$27.04 UTG
$78.57 MP
$130.21 CO
$233.50 Button
<font color="red">-$187.11 </font> SB
<font color="red">-$13.37 </font> BB

And Im thinking, Why am I playing anything short of premium from the SB? This is obviously killing me.
Or mabey, I go to far with premium hands OOP. This appears to be the spot I get stacked from.

Anyways starting last night, I vowed to only play premium hands from the SB. See If I can turn a profit from that position this month before adding more hands.

I was really suprised to see this, anyone else have this problem?
Old 11-22-2005, 11:15 AM

Default Re: Small Blind Blues

I play übertight from the SB, just because you're going to be in the worst possible position for the rest of the hand. Playing OOP is not fun.
Old 11-22-2005, 11:24 AM

My sb has never been profitable. My goal is to minimize my losses and make sure that I am uber profitable on CO and button.
Old 11-22-2005, 11:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My sb has never been profitable. My goal is to minimize my losses and make sure that I am uber profitable on CO and button.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its definately making me think that all these completes I make with suited connectors is really pointless.

So many times there are a pile of limpers and I think
"Well Im getting 8 to 1 odds to complete this blind I should really play anything."

With this insight, Its terrible logic. (for my skill level anyways)
Old 11-22-2005, 11:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Its definitely making me think that all these completes I make with suited connectors is really pointless.

So many times there are a pile of limpers and I think
"Well Im getting 8 to 1 odds to complete this blind I should really play anything."

With this insight, Its terrible logic. (for my skill level anyways)

[/ QUOTE ]

You still have to call with 8-1, the problem lies when BB min raises and everyone calls or when you hit TPNK make a bet and fold to a raise. You played it right, it is just a tough spot to eke out anything substantial other than the occasional monster. I am convinced that always folding other than premium hands or trying to steal the bb is probably not far from being correct.
Old 11-22-2005, 11:55 AM

With no raises, I complete any two in the SB. Is that bad?

(this is just a habit from the early levels of Party SNGs where you get ridiculous pot odds)
Old 11-22-2005, 12:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]

(this is just a habit from the early levels of Party SNGs where you get ridiculous pot odds)

[/ QUOTE ]

Hehe thats what I'm asking [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

If its infact ok to limp in to these big multiway pots because of the odds, then the limp isnt the problem. My postflop OOP play is.

Thats fine, I'm thinking the best thing for completely tighten up. And check my stats in a month.

I think my new motto is
"If OOP and dont know where you stand, dont let yourself get overinvolved"
Old 11-22-2005, 12:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is bad. While "any two cards can win" I am not sure that many (if any) of us can play 23o profitably out of the sb. You will make a lot of second best (and worse) hands from the sb. Until you are confident enough in your post-flop play to get away from marginal hands OOP, then I think folding marginal hands in the sb is correct.

Never play trash like 92 or 83 no matter what odds you are getting. Look at your PT stats and see what hands yopu have lost money with and what position you were in when you lost. I think you will se what I mean here.
Old 11-22-2005, 12:41 PM

these stats in the PT position window are misleading. everyone shows a loss from the blinds...those numbers include all hands, including ones that you folded to raises or where you saw a flop and check/folded to post-flop aggression.
Old 11-22-2005, 01:05 PM

I called anything connected, or QXs+ in the SB... I find that most players (not the ones posting here, and actually paying real attn) will see you show down with rags, then make the assumptions that all you play is rags... I love this, not because of your pots odds, but because of your implied odds. 65o, and the board comes 234rainbow, or A55, and you are laughing.... you can also steal alot with SB post flop, when it comes rags, who in their right mind would have those pieces of **** cards, I would and I play them hard. In limit, sb sucks, because your implied odds are so much less, and catching up is a little more cost effective... but if you can't let go after the flop, then yes tighten up... and wait