Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2005, 10:12 AM

Default On writing the \"True Classic of Poker Psychology\"

A post in the books/ publications forum got me thinking. I have heard it often stated on these forums that the "True Classic of Poker Psychology is yet to be written". I would agree.

We need a "Theory of Poker Mind", if you like. But what would such a book contain? What do people ask for in a definitive text of poker psychology?

It is such a broad and vague subject that it is difficult to sketch an outline of everything it should cover. This is my first, quick attempt at a framework. I'm putting this out there to hopefully get discussion going, and my outline can be used as a framework to be added to, edited and reworked:

TOPM

Background Chapters:
1. The biological basis of gambling.

Risk-Reward Pathways, Dopamine, Problem gambling etc.

2. Social-Historical basis of gambling
History of gambling & poker. Social & philisophical theories of gambling.

At the Poker Table:
3. Why people play poker.

Relates the background chapters to poker -- introduce concepts from POP such as the objectives of different player types.

4. Relationship of personality to style of play
More POP type stuff. Perhaps expand on POP with research material using standard psychology questionares of poker players.

5. Changing styles of play according to mood.
Biological/social theories of mood. How mood affects play.

Practical Applications
6. Tells.

Not a substitute for Mike Caro's text but more of an accompliment. Current pyshcological theory of body language, and how this relates to the poker table.

7. Tilt.
ITPM covers this well, but try and expand on Feeney's ideas. Perhaps try to relate something like Cognitive Behavioural Therapy to overcoming tilt.

It feels quite "light" so far -- how can we add a little more weight? This outline is still a long way from "the classic" we are after.
Old 08-26-2005, 11:11 AM

Default Re: On writing the \"True Classic of Poker Psychology\"

If I can ever get the money to do the real research (and by this I mean not just estimates and guesses based on experience) I seriously plan on writing the book you have outlined. It will be a long time down the road though. My title was a little different though. "Poker Personality"
Old 08-26-2005, 11:23 AM

Great idea, you'd better try to get there first!

Not sure if this is covered by what you've mentioned, but how about the psychological differences between
A. world-class players (some are numb and zen-like a la Howard/Ivey others mile-a-minute manics like Matusow etc)
B. world class players vs average players (what makes a poker genius like Danny Ne. etc different from the rest of us)

Some of what you outline here is covered in PoP, too, but you could certainly include Dr. Al's insights with refs. and in the appendix.

gl
Old 08-26-2005, 11:38 AM

Nice ideas with regard to profiling WCP's. I shall include these in a revised "outline", or feel free to do it yourslef.

shermn27, what other ideas did you have for your book? I understand if you don't want to share them.

To be honest, I'm not too bothered about writing this, although it is an option (I guess I have some relevant background). I was actually more thinking of writing a history/philosophy of gambling, if I was going to write anything on the subject.

I just wanted to put ideas out there -- hopefully someone else will then write it, cos I'm a lazy [censored] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]