Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-25-2004, 12:39 AM

Default i need help with my anger

sometimes i find myself so angry after my oppenents hit a crazy draw against me or suck out with an awful hand in a big pot that i almost become violent. i only play online so i havent publicly embarrassed myself yet, thankfully, but i know this isnt healthy. any tips would be much appreciated. thanks in advance.
Old 12-25-2004, 12:50 AM

Default Re: i need help with my anger

Happens to me on occasion, but ALOT less than when I started. After a HUGE string of bad beats I'll get angry, but most of the time I just stay pretty calm. After a while you'll stop caring so much about single bad beats.
Old 12-25-2004, 01:16 AM

Go down in limits if you can't handle the swings. Secondly you need to devalue the $ and think of it in terms of BB. Anytime you lose $50 in a session, you can NOT think of it as losing a pair of shoes. If you're a winning player who understands theory, you should realize that your $ comes from these crazy draws.
Old 12-25-2004, 01:21 AM

Consider purchasing Poker Tracker. In addition to being an essential poker tool, PT can be used to remind yourself that you don't always get sucked out (even if you've just lost 150 BB, missed your last seven flushes, and had your last four AA cracked).

Just look at your long-term stats.

And...you _know_ that crappy suck outs benefit you in the long run (it means the games are still very beatable). You don't seriously expect people to play crap AND always lose to you, do you?

I assume you're a winning player. If not, then either your sample size is too small or there's something(s) wrong with your game. Getting sucked out (that sounds so dirty) will not do much to the longterm bankroll of a winning player.

If you're a winning player even after awful suck outs...quit yer belly-aching. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 12-25-2004, 01:33 AM

thanks for all the replys guys. i posted this in anger after losing with rolled aces. i've had a excellent last 2 weeks as far as profits are concerned. i took your advice and am moving down a few limits, atleast until the variance ends. i'm properly bankrolled so thats not a problem. i'm just easily angered like hellmuth i suppose. wait, i just realized i DONT want to be like that at all. hopefully that might be enough motivation to control myself more. i got PT too. thanks for the quick responses
Old 12-25-2004, 04:00 AM

The current issue (number 27) of Card Player magazine has my article on exactly this subject. Go to cardplayer.com, click on magazine, and just scroll downward. For anyone reading after the next issue appears, just click on writers and my name.

Anger has destroyed countless bankrolls. If you don't learn how to manage it, it can destroy yours plus do lots of other damage.

Regards,

Al