Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-20-2004, 03:10 PM

Default 10/20 troubles

I tried the 10/20 (full) game at party poker and have logged in about 4k hands over which I am down about 80 BBs. From PT I can see that the tables are about 4% tighter than the 5/10, coming in at a pretty depressing 26% SF.

Problem is the number of bad players per full table is still amazingly high with people who go to the river no matter what, any ace, any suited, etc etc etc. So its not like they are not beatable, because they surely are, but after 13 or so hours it has been a very frustrating ordeal.

Does anyone play the 10/20 full? Anyone tried it? Should I just cut my losses and go back to 5/10 and build towards 15/30?
Old 12-21-2004, 01:27 AM

Default Re: 10/20 troubles

[ QUOTE ]
Problem is the number of bad players per full table is still amazingly high

[/ QUOTE ]

Treat 5-10 as your standard game, but keep data mining 10-20 and sit when you find one of the guys you mentioned above. If these type of guys are typically sitting, play 10-20 as your standard game and look to get involved in pots when these guys are in and avoiding the tougher spots, to the extent you can. But seriously, while these 10-20 full games can be beaten for more than the 5-10 consider the 6-max alternatives, its more fun and will force you to learn how to play out of the blinds and in marginal spots. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 12-21-2004, 03:01 AM

hey jr, thats defiintely a good route - mining in process. the 6 max game however, is something I suck at, because I am still down overall in 5/10 6 max [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] Not sure what I am doing wrong there, its not like I loosen up when i go to 6 max, but slowly and systematically the money drains.

what do u play now JR?
Old 12-21-2004, 03:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
consider the 6-max alternatives, its more fun and will force you to learn how to play out of the blinds and in marginal spots.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wish I had played 6 max at some point. I have considered dropping back to 10/20 6max just to play it and develop certain aspects of my game - but not yet.

Needless to say, I think JR's advice here is good - you will learn a lot playing 6max.
Old 12-21-2004, 04:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
its not like I loosen up when i go to 6 max

[/ QUOTE ]

That's probably part of the issue. You need to loosen up somewhat (relative to a full table).
Old 12-21-2004, 06:26 AM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

[ QUOTE ]
because they surely are, but after 13 or so hours it has been a very frustrating ordeal.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. Only 13 hours? What did you expect? To come on and instantly kill the game?

[ QUOTE ]
Problem is the number of bad players per full table is still amazingly high with people who go to the river no matter what, any ace, any suited, etc etc etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a problem? Sounds ideal.

[ QUOTE ]
Should I just cut my losses and go back to 5/10 and build towards 15/30?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you can't beat the 10-20 game you described above, you aren't going to beat the 15-30.

I'd say go back and play lower until losing in a game you described as a problem is seen as a welcome mat. Based on your post, you're not ready to move up. At least not mindset-wise.

b
Old 12-21-2004, 06:44 AM

I have been considering a shot at 10/20... What kind of roll do I need to sustain the variance if I live off of my bankroll? I figure 500bb... For the record, I can't beat 6max for some reason, although I think I have gotten much better since I took a few stabs at it.
Old 12-21-2004, 07:13 AM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

[ QUOTE ]
What kind of roll do I need to sustain the variance if I live off of my bankroll? I figure 500bb

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably a good number. I'd also have an extra 5-10K non-roll in money behind for living expenses during the down times. The amount depends on your monthly nut you have to make to sustain your bills. You want at least 5+ months worth. If you dip into it, replenish it before adding to your roll. You might not ever have to dip into it. Remember, you have to provide your own benefits, fallback money when you live off of it. No one else is going to do it for you.

Others may have other opinions/ideas on it.

Last thing, learn how to manage money. Poker players aren't exactly high on the list for recieving loans.

b
Old 12-21-2004, 07:18 AM

If you're living off of your bankroll, you need at least 300 BB plus the amount that you need to live. If you can live off of 200 BB, then 500 BB is fine.

Keep in mind that 300 BB is the bare minimum needed for any limit. If you dip even to 299, you should technically drop to a lower limit.

Some have posted that 800 BB should be enough to allow you to stay at your current limit forver. Since you're living off of your bankroll, a conservative 800 BB may be a pretty good idea.
Old 12-21-2004, 09:40 AM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

the 10/20 is a lot like the 5/10, pretty tight and pretty low variance. if you're able to step in and be a solid winner, then you'd probably only need 400, or 350 to take a 50 BB shot