Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2005, 07:30 PM

Default The Slow Roll (no poker content)

I'm not sure where this should go. I'm posting here instead of B&M, because I'm interested to see if it effects players any from an emotional or strategic standpoint.

To make a long story short, I had AA and the pot was big. I called a 3-bet on the turn. The river paired the board and my opponent checked. I thought he might've just gotten his two pair counterfeited so I bet for value. He called. I showed my hand and he just sat there forever staring at my aces. Finally he turned over his two cards revealing he had turned a straight.

For an hour afterwards 4 players approached me with their indignation over his slow roll (there was no question it was intentional by the way as this player knew he had a straight).

Is there something wrong with me that this does not bother me in the least? What's the big deal if someone slow rolls you? You'd have lost the pot anyway, so who cares?

In addition, I figure this guy donates about 50k per year to the game, so if he gets a kick out of slowrolling me then let him have his fun! Why would I get mad about it?

Anyway, I close friend of mine said I should plan an elaborate slowroll for him in the future in retaliation. I don't know. I don't think it's a good idea. He's an older guy who just doesn't like me because he thinks I'm lucky and win all the time. I have to admit it might be fun, but I have never slowrolled anyone in my life. I'm not sure I want to stoop to his level. I also worry about making him look bad and having it cost me action from him in the future.

Does anyone have any comments on the the subject of slowrolling?
Old 09-24-2005, 07:40 PM

Default Re: The Slow Roll (no poker content)

[ QUOTE ]
Is there something wrong with me that this does not bother me in the least?

[/ QUOTE ]

It would make you go on tilt if you were normal.

PM Alan Schoonmaker, Ph.D. for ideas if you are looking for help. Just remember that recognizing you have a problem is the first step in finding a solution.
Old 09-24-2005, 07:41 PM

I dont get pissed about taht stuff either.
If slow rolling him, is more profitable, in your opinion, than not slow rolling him (due to tilt, constantly firing at you etc) then do it, otherwise, dont.
Old 09-24-2005, 07:41 PM

You seem like too much of gentleman to slow-roll. Keep it classy.

Personally, I get annoyed with slow-rollers. "dude, the action dictates that you should have the best hand. WTF do you have?"
Old 09-24-2005, 07:42 PM

From a purely strategic standpoint, I think slow-rolling him back is a good idea. It sounds like it might irritate him and tilt him, and it further sounds like he's already angry with you; I doubt slow-rolling him would get him to either leave the game or play better. He's clearly horrible; it sounds like he left at least one bet on the table on the end there, so if slow-rolling him back will keep him from c/ring that river, I say go for it.
Old 09-24-2005, 07:50 PM

<font color="red"> It sounds like it might irritate him and tilt him, </font>

This was kinda one of my questions. For any of you who slowroll; does it bother you when someone slowrolls you? I wouldn't think so, since you must be expecting this (even inviting it?), after having done it to someone.
Old 09-24-2005, 07:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If slow rolling him, is more profitable, in your opinion, than not slow rolling him (due to tilt, constantly firing at you etc) then do it, otherwise, dont.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the point. I'm not sure how he would react. I certainly wouldn't want to make someone who is good for the game uncomfortable in any manner. I guess I'm hoping to get responses from other people who slowroll and see how it effects them and their play when someone slowrolls back. Is it a game which you consider fun? Or do you find it just as annoying as most of the people you do it to seem to?
Old 09-24-2005, 07:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Is there something wrong with me that this does not bother me in the least?

[/ QUOTE ]

It would make you go on tilt if you were normal.

PM Alan Schoonmaker, Ph.D. for ideas if you are looking for help. Just remember that recognizing you have a problem is the first step in finding a solution.

[/ QUOTE ]

While he's at it, do ya think Alan could help me become a little more visually and emotionally upset after getting aces get cracked? I have a real problem with that!
Old 09-24-2005, 08:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the point. I'm not sure how he would react. I certainly wouldn't want to make someone who is good for the game uncomfortable in any manner. I guess I'm hoping to get responses from other people who slowroll and see how it effects them and their play when someone slowrolls back. Is it a game which you consider fun? Or do you find it just as annoying as most of the people you do it to seem to?

[/ QUOTE ]

Im like tina and ike in live games, I like to do things nice and easy. If someone slow rolls me, and I know its with malice, Ill usually rag on him a little bit.
Ie. my patented "triumph the comic dog"-ish voice, and tell him he is a son of a bitch etc, lift my glass to him (I always have a manhattan at anytime I play, and use it as a "prop"), but keeping a smile on my face.

Now, if i get a chance to slow roll him, Ill do it, but Ill make sure to have a smile, tell him this is revenge etc (you get the point)

I remember once this old dude, that the whole table hated, because he kept yelling at the dealer did it to me at a 5/10 table, I did it back to him, (everyone realized what was going on), and held it for a really long time, the whole table was cracking up. It pissed him off vvv bad, btu the table was much more upbeat after that.
Old 09-24-2005, 08:43 PM

I think you handled yourself well, and planning a retaliation would be below you.