Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2005, 02:08 PM

Default Re: Oh great..overcards in a large pot (6max)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
so what happened, what did you do??????

[/ QUOTE ]

He either called or raised as hero is in red.

[/ QUOTE ]

In the actual hand i raised..but i didnt really know what to do at the time. When looking back at the hand i thought that raising was probably the worst of the 3 options..the only thing it has going for it is that i may get a free card, but even that is unlikely.
Im not going to get the SB to fold and i cant think of any likely hand (other than AK) that the button will fold that i actually want him to.

When i posted the hand i was thinking that calling was probably the best option, even though its likely i could be sandwiched between the 2 raisers. But now im not so sure... folding may be best but it just feels so wrong in such a big pot.
Old 11-08-2005, 02:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think this is a raise or fold situation. Since the pot is 16SB I'd probably go ahead and raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you give some reasons for raising..do you think it will increase our chances of winning the hand? If so, why?

Thanks

Obliky
Old 11-08-2005, 02:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think this is a raise or fold situation. Since the pot is 16SB I'd probably go ahead and raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you give some reasons for raising..do you think it will increase our chances of winning the hand? If so, why?

Thanks

Obliky

[/ QUOTE ]

We'd really like to get the button out so we can get this heads up with position. With the button hanging around there's a very good chance we're going to get knocked out of the pot whether the button is ahead of or behind us.

If we can get the button to fold even a hand like KQ/AQ/ATs, then there's a reasonable chance we can get to the river cheaply and outdraw the SB. It would be huge to get a free card here in such a large pot since we'll hit an A or K somewhere around 20% of the time.

This also forces the button to give us some information about his hand. Does he like it enough to 3-bet the flop? Is he willing to call 2 cold when it's possible that it's going to get capped? We should also get some information about SB's hand. A weak jack is usually not going to 3-bet or cap here, but a monster or a flush draw may. But then again a monster or flush draw would probably have gone for a check/raise, so it's more likely we're against something like JT or QJ here (or even a pocket pair lower than JJ). If the button 3-bets and the SB folds then that's good too.

Finally if we call we might as well just fold since we're essentially telling our opponents that we just have overcards that we can't let go of (why wouldn't we raise an overpair/set/flush draw/etc here?). There's a good chance we'll be trapped for extra bets.
Old 11-08-2005, 02:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If we can get the button to fold even a hand like KQ/AQ/ATs

[/ QUOTE ]

do you think button is 3betting with these hands. The only real read was agg postflop. Against an unknown, would you still think he would 3bet w/ these hands?
Old 11-08-2005, 08:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If we can get the button to fold even a hand like KQ/AQ/ATs

[/ QUOTE ]

do you think button is 3betting with these hands. The only real read was agg postflop. Against an unknown, would you still think he would 3bet w/ these hands?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think there's a good chance, especially with the likely dead money in there.