Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2005, 03:42 AM

Default Re: 50/100 Boat??

[ QUOTE ]
The obvious drawback, here, is that we're letting Ks and As come off for for free, and we may be put to a tough river decision.

[/ QUOTE ]

when playing this deep its often better to let someone draw to their 5 outer if that means you are better prepared to protect your stack.

even if an ace or king comes its not likely that you'll be forced to play a big pot as villian still has to consider the fact that you could have the queen.
Old 10-07-2005, 04:55 AM

People trying to figure out what to think about in these games and situations should read rbk's post a lot.
Old 10-07-2005, 05:20 AM

care to share any further thoughts or info morgant?

i think we've all been pretty patient.
Old 10-07-2005, 06:34 AM

i think if you were ever intending on checking a street i'd prefer the flop than the turn mainly because the river is going to end up a lot like this hand...

when you raise preflop and then check behind the flop, the villian is going to be less likely to try to bluff you out imo and allows you to dictate what happens on the river more often than the other way around.
Old 10-07-2005, 06:59 AM

Hi morgant,

Riverboatking's post is gold.

For another, cruder perspective, I think Villain has the Q, because your line is pretty well suited to you holding a Q, given your stack (if you had the same 15K as him, you'd probably keep building the pot on the turn) and the fact that you're the one in position. Since he couldn't know that you don't have a Q, he could bluff more cheaply, if he wanted to bluff.
Old 10-07-2005, 07:24 AM

Hard for me to conceptualize these stakes, but I know if this were 5-10 NL Id call $1200 pretty fast w/o a strong read telling me to do otherwise
Old 10-07-2005, 08:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hard for me to conceptualize these stakes, but I know if this were 5-10 NL Id call $1200 pretty fast w/o a strong read telling me to do otherwise

[/ QUOTE ]

see here's the thing...5-10NL and 50-100NL, bigger difference then just 10X the BB.
Old 10-07-2005, 10:10 AM

This is way out of my league and I understand what you've said about pot control and the like, but essentially the BB is risking about 6K to win 3K on this river where his only risk is if villian raised preflop with 7's - A's or a hand with a Q (assuming villian doesn't have the Q). Anything else and it's a wash if called. If villian doesn't have a Q, then he probably has at least one if not two cards in the pair range making those two pairs less likely. He really only has to worry about 5-6 pairs then, or the case Q. That said, he also figures to get some pairs to fold some percentage of the time. This all makes this a great opportunity for a bluff in my mind.
Old 10-07-2005, 10:32 AM

I call here, hesitantly. It really depends on how aggressive BB is. If he has been passive than its easy fold, but if he is an aggressive player you almost have to call. its difficult but i lean towards calling. I can't understand why he would push with quads, but perhaps that is a trap that he is trying to set....
Old 10-07-2005, 10:57 AM

Yeah. I have no clue how this game plays, of course, but I like a check on this flop. I think El D quoted GoG as saying something like "If there is a pair on the flop and you only have one pair, try to play a small pot" which makes a lot of sense to me. In any case, for people who do advocate a fold here, what do you call with? Only quads? If so, wouldn't this be a fantastically +EV bluff from villain?