Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2005, 03:51 AM

Default Re: Hand from Borgata WPT Main Event.

[ QUOTE ]
Obviously, limping is the most conservative thing to do but that leads to problems later as Che said.

[/ QUOTE ]

Limping is not conservative. It's losing. With the negative implied odds previously mentioned (woodguy, I think), playing AKo in the SB 6-way will lose big pots and win small ones. You're better off folding. At least that move is 0 EV. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Later,
Che
Old 09-20-2005, 04:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you check-raise, now you're playing a big pot OOP with AKo paired - which is pretty damn good

[/ QUOTE ]

However, I agree that people aren't considering the money in the pot much.
Old 09-20-2005, 04:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
playing AKo in the SB 6-way will lose big pots infrequently and win small ones frequently for a net +EV play, although not necessarily the best.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-20-2005, 04:12 AM

All in call is fine. (I think you know that.)

It's really hard to determine which play is correct preflop deep stacked in basically any situation. Usually AK is a hand that you should play super-aggro preflop, but this is a very extreme situation. I think the two most reasonable plays are limp and overbet push (A normal raise risks a whiffed flop with an awkward stack size OOP, possibly against many opponents.). The EV of limping is really hard to calculate, but if you can put the table on rough limping ranges and calling ranges, the EV of pushing's not too hard to guess. Unless this is an oddly loose/passive table, the EV of pushing is probably pretty close to the size of the pot, and I can't imagine that the EV of limping is that good.
Old 09-20-2005, 04:41 AM

??????

you push with AK preflop in an unraised pot with 60 BB in your stack?

the only case where you'd get called there is when one of the limpers is trapping with aces or kings. pushing is absolutely horrible.

i'd prefer to make a pot size raise, and don't particularly mind if i get a caller or two.