Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Two Plus Two > Two Plus Two Internet Magazine
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2005, 02:26 PM

Default Re: I Quit My Day Job

Honestly, these articles are beginning to piss me off.

"Boohoohoo I make money sitting at home on my computer, what an awful life, nobody loves me, I have no friends, I'm fat and have no future."

Tell it to young grads with degrees that are leading them to dead end jobs, or the construction worker finishing cement on cold winter days or mothers who have to leave their kids at home to make ends meet waitressing.

Poker if learned properly can be a great career opportunity, especially for the entrepenurial. Imagine not having to have a mortgage on your first home or condo? How many people would be willing to lead a hard life if they could actually own their property within 3 years of playing? Many people are doing this now but it will take them 20 or 30 years.

The health issue is such a joke I don't even want to comment, but I must: Go to a God Damn Gym 3 times a week for one hour. Do it in the morning when the games are not great. Health problem solved! Who knows, you might even make a friend!

As for Dreary life: welcome to reality. You think it is mor fun spending 60-70 hours at some other job for less money? If you can't take one or two days off a week to spend exclusively with family, friends, or girlfriends, you have a serious gambling problem. Get help!

There are so many upsides to poker that the downsides are negligible unless you already have a job and life you love. You make out of life what YOU WILL.
Old 11-02-2005, 03:28 PM

I love you.
Old 11-04-2005, 03:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I love you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, you told me you loved me last night... what the hell?
Old 11-02-2005, 03:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the downsides are negligible

[/ QUOTE ]

Spoken like a truely inexperienced person.
Old 11-02-2005, 03:54 PM

Hey! You're not Angry any more!!

It is to be expected that players who haven't made the switch wil be offended by parts of this article. I certainly appreciated the points brought up by the author. Also, making money at 3/6 is easy for those who know how to do it. 50K a year seems like a reasonable estimate for online profit at 3/6. I understand that there are plenty of posters here who don't "get" Limit HE, but for those who do, this statement is taken as an easily understood truth.
Old 11-03-2005, 10:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, making money at 3/6 is easy for those who know how to do it. 50K a year seems like a reasonable estimate for online profit at 3/6. I understand that there are plenty of posters here who don't "get" Limit HE, but for those who do, this statement is taken as an easily understood truth.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I hear this all the time from folks like you who say 50k is a reasonable estimate. And sometimes folks through around numbers of what you would have to make to prove it. But I've actually only seen about two guys claim to have made 50k a year at 3/6 and one of them went out and got a regular job when the burnout hit.

Easily understood truth? I'll take it as a possible, but far more difficult, accomplishment than most people around her believe.

--Zetack
Old 11-03-2005, 03:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've actually only seen about two guys claim to have made 50k a year at 3/6 and one of them went out and got a regular job when the burnout hit.

Easily understood truth? I'll take it as a possible, but far more difficult, accomplishment than most people around her believe.

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyone who averages $4000+ per month at 3/6 without playing some absurd number of hands should be moving up pretty quick. So what you will find is that no one who is good enough to prove this claim will actually stick around long enough to do so.
Old 12-12-2005, 09:55 PM

Default Jane - you ignorant [censored]

[ QUOTE ]

Anyone who averages $4000+ per month at 3/6 without playing some absurd number of hands should be moving up pretty quick. So what you will find is that no one who is good enough to prove this claim will actually stick around long enough to do so.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow - they censored $lut ?

- It was just a Christmas gift to those who hold fond memories for the REAL "Saturday Night Live".

I have several friends who earn ~ $4,000/month playing 2-4 thru 5-10 and several more whose win rates would equate to 4k/month if they played full time.

Of the former group, two are stay at home Moms, one is a stay at home Dad, two more are [semi] professional writers, one is finishing his thesis and one simply has no ambition whatsoever and will never move beyond the lower limits. (The brackets surounding "semi" are meant to acknowledge that despite their talent neither has ever nor likely will ever make a living with their keyboard).

The second group is composed mostly of college students and the like who for one reason or another are either not good enough to move up (not everyone adhere's to the Peter Principle) or are unable or unwilling to stash away enough to fund a leap to the next level.

- There are more than a few out there who succeed, flourish or even excel at the [mechanical] nature of 2-4/3-6 but who fall flat on their face when they attemt an attack on the higher limits where the games are typically played at a much faster pace.

It's more or less accepted wisdom that there are those who make names for themselves in big games but lack the ability (or more often the patience and discipline) to beat the smaller ones; why should it be so difficult to accept that there would be [many] more of the opposite ?
Old 11-07-2005, 02:17 AM

Making 50k is tough at 3/6. You would have to win two bb per 100 hands while 4 tabling 40 hours a week...At 47 weeks you should have your 50k....
Old 12-12-2005, 08:05 PM

If you can't beat the game it must be because the game is rigged.

If you can beat the game but cannot beat it for more than "X" it's obvious that anyone who claims they can beat it for more than "X" is lying about their success(es).

If the "liar" shows you indisputable proof that backs up their claims they are obviously cheating and/or unbelievably lucky.

If you watch them play long enough to see that they are clearly not lucky it's obvious that you are unlucky.

I have finally decided that the only way to deal with the naysayers is to tell them they are "probably right"; I have no skill - well, none to speak of, and neither do any of the 1,000's of people who earn all or most of their income from poker.

It's OK; I don't mind being seen as a "lucky SOB".

The money spends as well as it did when I was doing something more cerebral.