Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2005, 03:26 PM

Default overplayed overpair?

I've been very aggressive recently. I've re-raised the BB quite a bit, and he's been laying down, but I think he wants to make a stand soon. On the turn, I did this to myself on purpose: I didn't think I thought the odds would be too good to fold if he re-raised all-in.

I started playing 6-max yesterday. I don't read the HUSH forum .. should this be there even though it's low stakes?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (6 max, 5 handed) converter

BB ($62.10)
Hero ($139.95)
MP ($27.30)
Button ($41.97)
SB ($32.05)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.25.
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $2</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls $2, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to $4.5</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $15</font>, Button folds, BB calls $10.

Flop: ($32.25) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $20</font>, BB raises to $47.10, all in. Hero calls $27.10.

Turn: ($79.35) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

River: ($79.35) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: $79.35
Old 11-19-2005, 03:28 PM

Default Re: overplayed overpair?

I like the play.
Old 11-19-2005, 08:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I like the play.

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks. Is this just standard, so nobody's replying?
Old 11-19-2005, 08:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I like the play.

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks. Is this just standard, so nobody's replying?

[/ QUOTE ]

With this image, yes I suppose it's "standard"
Old 11-19-2005, 08:30 PM

If the other player was somebody that you had not played with before, you should feel that there is a good chance that you are beaten when he makes this last raise.

You have made it abundantly clear that you have at least a big pocket pair. But you would have to give him a crying call anyway brcause of the size of the pot. But in this case, where he knows you are a wild &amp; crazy guy, there's a decent chance that that you have a winner. Maybe he feels like you are overbetting your hand, &amp; he wants to teach you a lesson.
Old 11-19-2005, 08:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Is this just standard, so nobody's replying?

[/ QUOTE ]

With this image, yes I suppose it's "standard"

[/ QUOTE ]
What if I just sat down and have no real reads. Is the other guy's range usually big enough to do this? E.g. how often do you expect to see a pair or a flush draw here?
Old 11-19-2005, 08:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]

What if I just sat down and have no real reads. Is the other guy's range usually big enough to do this? E.g. how often do you expect to see a pair or a flush draw here?

[/ QUOTE ]

Without any kind of reads I'd like to find a fold somewhere in this hand, although it's really hard after that much money in the pot preflop
Old 11-19-2005, 08:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If the other player was somebody that you had not played with before, you should feel that there is a good chance that you are beaten when he makes this last raise.

You have made it abundantly clear that you have at least a big pocket pair. But you would have to give him a crying call anyway brcause of the size of the pot. But in this case, where he knows you are a wild &amp; crazy guy, there's a decent chance that that you have a winner. Maybe he feels like you are overbetting your hand, &amp; he wants to teach you a lesson.

[/ QUOTE ]
So, with these stacks, what do you do on the flop against someone you haven't seen before?
Old 11-19-2005, 08:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Without any kind of reads I'd like to find a fold somewhere in this hand, although it's really hard after that much money in the pot preflop

[/ QUOTE ]
Does that mean you slow down pre-flop?
Old 11-19-2005, 09:02 PM

I'm not saying that I would play it differently. In fact I think this is correct play, against an unknown player or this one. When the pot gets this large, you don't care if he knows what you have. If he gets out,fine.