Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2005, 03:01 PM

Default Re: AQ early facing re-raise

[ QUOTE ]
This is correct,

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? If you had AA, you'd also call an all-in. You shoving all 655 in with AA? KK? QQ?

There's a line to be drawn with shoving more than 9 or 10BB's into the pot preflop. This line shifts with position, players left to act, and hand strength.

This is AQ, four handed. AQ four handed is stronger than QQ at a full table.
Old 04-25-2005, 03:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
greater than 2:1 you're getting!!! How could you not call this?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, when I was considering folding, I meant folding pre-flop. I don't think there's any way I fold after the re-raise all-in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now you're just kidding around, right?
Old 04-25-2005, 03:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If your plan is to call an all-in reraise from any of the remaining players, why not just push?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is correct, although I'm sure OP had not intended to call an allin reraise from BB. In fact, I would probably fold to an allin reraise from BB here. Unless these guys are that laggy, my hand range for him is AK/pair.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your range if YOU were him...this is the 22s. Although i tend to agree, the overlay there is not as good and the range is tighter...would be a very marginal call.

DFscott,

in your response to me about folding...I didnt realize u meant preflop...in which case all i have to say is...WHAT?!?

that's bad too...U might be on a weak streak. Ive been there often after suffering many bad beats etc...im afraid to be agressive with good holdings...dont know if thats the case here but this seems like a standard play to me and all the ppl yet to act, u got the one i want to see reraising here...jump for joy.
Old 04-25-2005, 03:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I would also call a BB push.

[/ QUOTE ]

If that is indeed the plan, then hero needs to push.

[/ QUOTE ]

No he doesn't. Pushing 655 chips into a 150 pot narrows the range of hands that will call. Yes, they'd reraise your 150 anyway. However, you'll get pushed back at by lessor hands and called by lessor hands just raising to 150.

Who's afraid of postflop? I welcome it. I'll outplay 90% of them every day of the week.

[/ QUOTE ]

You won't be playing postflop against the button or SB. They don't have enough chips to just call here.

The BB could call. If by "outplay", you mean "push on any flop", then I guess that counts.

Either way, there's not going to be a lot of play after this flop.

I'd probably raise to 150 and push on almost any flop.

However, I don't really don't think straight pushing is that bad. If either short stack has a hand, we'll be allin either way.
Old 04-25-2005, 03:10 PM

I don't think straight pushing is that bad either. I'm just challenging the all-in with 13BB line. I'm welcoming action on my AQ here. Not running from it.
Old 04-25-2005, 03:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is AQ, four handed. AQ four handed is stronger than QQ at a full table.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree with this statement. And you keep saying it. You're implying that because all the previous hands have folded, and there's just 4 left, that this is a 4 handed game. The problem I have with this statement is that if it were truly a 4 handed game, there would be no dead cards. How many queens or aces may have been folded prior to this hand is different than knowing that the probability they all are live is the difference.

Furthermore, I assume you mean QQ with 9 left to act is weaker than AQ with 3 left to act. This statement may be true, I've never considered it.

But how do you apply that same logic to this scenario when there are dead cards involved?
Old 04-25-2005, 03:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I disagree with this statement. And you keep saying it. You're implying that because all the previous hands have folded, and there's just 4 left, that this is a 4 handed game. The problem I have with this statement is that if it were truly a 4 handed game, there would be no dead cards. How many queens or aces may have been folded prior to this hand is different than knowing that the probability they all are live is the difference.

[/ QUOTE ]

I once made a thread about the dead card issue in this forum because I was thinking the way you do. The consensus was that it's not an important factor. Anyway, the deck would theoretically have MORE A's & Q's, not less, because these are cards that are often in limpers hands, and nobody limped.

[ QUOTE ]
Furthermore, I assume you mean QQ with 9 left to act is weaker than AQ with 3 left to act.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.
[ QUOTE ]
But how do you apply that same logic to this scenario when there are dead cards involved?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't get this, Chuck. You don't know the dead cards. It's unusable information, one way or the other.
Old 04-25-2005, 03:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]

that's bad too...U might be on a weak streak. Ive been there often after suffering many bad beats etc...im afraid to be agressive with good holdings...

[/ QUOTE ]

Can't be the case here. I sat (unintentially) to his left at a table the other day and it SUCKED. Evey time I thought I might get a steal in, he pushed right before me. I couldn't believe he didn't get called down.

This is my favorite quote of the day:

[ QUOTE ]
If by "outplay", you mean "push on any flop", then I guess that counts.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 04-25-2005, 03:30 PM

This raise with AQ after it is folded to you is good. I wouldn't raise if there are limpers, but otherwise it is good. Obviously you're calling the all in.
Old 04-25-2005, 03:49 PM

I like the initial 3x BB bet, as a larger raise may deter weaker hands that you're a coin flip with or ahead of from playing with you, but you'll still have to call all-ins from the button and SB when they end up having big hands that dominate AQ.

After the button pushes, you're closing the action, getting 695-320 (~2.2-1) so assuming you have no special concerns about going broke, you need 32% equity or better to call profitably.

Using Pokerstove, I see that you'll have that much equity against even a tight range:

33.3078 % { AQo }
66.6922 % { AA-99, AKs-AQs, AKo }

Of course, as you add other hands to your opponents' range, like AQo, AJ, AT, KQ, smaller pocket pairs, pure bluffs, etc., AQ gains equity VERY quickly:

50.0494 % { AQo }
49.9506 % { AA-66, AKs-ATs, KQs, AKo-ATo, KQo }

So unless you put this guy on an Ultra tight reraising range, you need to call his all-in. But given your positions, his stack size and the fact that this is Party, I think the 2nd (looser) range of hands is closer to reality than the first.

Luke