Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2005, 01:24 PM

Default Re: 65s... this should be an easy question

I think raise to get this HU. We win more than 50% of the time. Overcalls would improve the value of our flushdraw, but leaves more outs against us possibly having the best hand right now.
Old 12-01-2005, 01:48 PM

I think you need to raise here. In the worst situation, you are about a coinflip with the preflop raiser, but if everyone behind you folds, they are leaving a bunch of dead money in the pot. If you get called by two or three players, you certainly aren't unhappy with that either.

In the best situation, maybe one of the blinds has a bad nine, or pocket sevens, and your raise convinces them to fold, and you get to play the hand headsup against the preflop raiser who has just overcards and you have a monstrous equity edge.

You might have the best hand, you most likely have the best draw, you certainly have the best position, why not raise, and see what happens from here? This is a nice pot already, and you certainly want to give yourself the best chance of winning the hand either now, or on the turn without further improvement.

If it is headsup on the turn, and it is checked to me, I bet, but if I am called there, I check behind on the river.

Finally, this is your first hand, most players are going to give you a little more credit for having a good hand when you give this much action, and it might be easier for you to win this hand by playing aggressively. But, if you get called down, this might set you up for having a LAGgy image for a while, because some players might not remember that you were blinded in, and others might recognize how powerful a flop you got here.
Old 12-01-2005, 01:55 PM

raise, you have value if called and if your hand happens to be best you want to knock people out

if i didnt have the pair id probably call so that i dont knock out the blinds
Old 12-01-2005, 01:57 PM

so brad, i have a question for you, suppose you have 65s and posted in the CO just like in this hand and a player with the stats of the PFR raises, is this a 3-bet or fold situation for you?
Old 12-01-2005, 06:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
so brad, i have a question for you, suppose you have 65s and posted in the CO just like in this hand and a player with the stats of the PFR raises, is this a 3-bet or fold situation for you?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm kind of curious about this as well. Based on the stats I had on the blinds, I was fairly sure at least one of them was going to come along for the ride if I called, and so I felt I was going to get at least 1 to 5 to call here. I can see no reason to 3 bet with that hand against someone with that low of a VP$IP though, even when I have position.