Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2005, 01:52 AM

Default Re: San Francisco: When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns.

[ QUOTE ]
"the idea that citizens of the city will be safer with this law passed is quite silly."

Don't know what the proposed law says, or how it will be enforced, but is it possible that incidents like the one in Tennessee today might be avoided?

[/ QUOTE ]

No.
Old 11-09-2005, 01:55 AM

So the availability of guns has nothing to do with the incidences of their use? Or is it that a city doing something will be useless unless there is a national, or at least a state, policy?
Old 11-09-2005, 01:05 AM

Default Re: San Francisco: When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns

And of course everything that's good for good ole San Fran is good for the world.

Jeeze.
Old 11-09-2005, 02:25 AM

From the sfgunban website:

Prohibiting pistols would make San Francisco a magnet for violent crime. If this law passes, criminals will laugh, but won't turn in their guns. Most criminals get their guns illegally, so they are already committing a crime by owning them.

This law will leave law abiding men and women with no defense against robbers, rapists, stalkers or home invaders. Violent criminals will know this and flock here seeking easy victims.

The sponsors of this flop have not done their homework. A long-standing California preemption statute prohibits cities from passing a patchwork of conflicting gun laws. If Prop H passes, we will have to pay for a costly lawsuit that San Francisco will lose.

San Franciscans should reject this unfair, unconstitutional and unworkable scheme.

Banning guns is not a progressive cause. Organizations including the San Francisco Pink Pistols oppose this ordinance because it denies gays the means to defend themselves against hate crimes.

Author: Coalition Against Prohibition
Old 11-09-2005, 02:25 AM

and another:
"Pink Pistols" Opposes Proposition H

Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgendered people have come a long way since our rebellion at Stonewall in 1969. Now, members of the LGBT community are comfortable being employed as police, firefighters, EMTs, and soldiers.

But police are not enough. There are lessons learned in our struggle over these decades:
To count on our brothers and sisters in the community,
To have a proud, self-sufficient community,
To love ourselves enough to say, "Yes, we are worth saving."
We have a, different vision for San Francisco than Chris Daly. We want a San Francisco where sexual minorities are proud, independent and secure. A San Francisco where we can find refuge, sanctuary and protection in our own home, or the home of a friend, when hatred rears its head. Daly would have us cower in our living rooms and bedrooms, helpless to stop attackers from hurting our friends and families.

The LGBT community has a well deserved reputation for being gentle and nonviolent. We know that deadly force must not be resorted to lightly, but even thinkers such as the Dalai Lama and Mahatma Gandhi saw that using force may be a moral necessity.

Let's fix what's broken in the world, but stand strong together. Remember the lessons of history. Vote No on Proposition H.

San Francisco Pink Pistols
Old 11-09-2005, 07:37 AM

Finally...a good reason to ban guns...a chance to visit upon those people the pain they visit upon us for their ridiculous political agenda
Old 11-10-2005, 03:49 AM

criminals are gonna flock there? yeah cause any criminal outside of San Fran is really keeping up on his municipal ordinances.
Old 11-09-2005, 02:57 AM

I own guns. I enjoy guns. I support the rights of anyone in responsible ownership, use and care of guns.

I do not support anti-gun laws, for the most part. I do support the enforcement of the myriad of laws presently in place - local, state and federal.

Does a gun make me any safer? Maybe. The pistol in my car the night I was car-jacked did not. The little perp had his weapon about 3" from my left temple and I certainly wasn't going to question his threat to "blow my f'in head off" if I didn't do as he instructed me.

Was my weapon put in the hands of that or another criminal and later used illegally? Probably so. I regret that. But I've never lost any sleep over it.

If I were living in France tonight, I'd be on a rooftop. I'd use my gun. If what's happening in France were happening in the US, I believe it would have been stopped long before now.
Old 11-09-2005, 05:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If I were living in France tonight, I'd be on a rooftop. I'd use my gun. If what's happening in France were happening in the US, I believe it would have been stopped long before now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not recommended. You'd be spending a long time in the Bastile. Sad as it is, if you catch someone stealing your car or raping your wife at knifepoint in the UK or France and your only available weapon is a clandestinely owned handgun, you're best to just let him finish. You'll undoubtedly do more time than he will, whether you actually shoot him or not.

Those who blindly put all trust in the police to protect them in time of crisis in the end get what they deserve. From the Watts riots to the Katrina aftermath in N.O. to the current rabble rousing in Paris, there is ample proof that police are either unable, unwilling or just flat out incompetent when charged with protecting life and property in genuine emergencies. People can ignore this of course, as such events are unlikely in their respective cubbyholes. I'll hold on to my gun all the same.
Old 11-09-2005, 09:32 AM

Do you guys really think rape at gunpoint is a frequent occurance? I'd love to see some statistics that say it is. Also, the hysteria over "criminals flocking to San Franscisco" is just ridiculous. The vast majority of "crime" is local crime of opportunity---why do you think East St. Louis is such a hellhole, when its denizens could drive five miles to one of the nice neighboorhoods in the country and rob the inhabitants?

Also, a fun little fact that gets lost in the random distribution of statistics--if indeed, they are from reputable sources (highly debatable): correlation isn't causation.