Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-2005, 12:49 PM

Default Trip report: Harrah\'s New Orleans

Just got back from New Orleans. Only played for a few hours because I was acutally on an anniversary trip with my wife. I wish I could have played more but she promised me a trip to AC later to make up for it.

Hit the poker room at 6pm on Sunday night (holiday weekend) and the wait was about 20 people deep. Floorman said it was a good hour wait so I went to grab some dinner. Got back about 30min later and my name had already been called. Got on the list again and it took about 10min to get a seat at 3-6.

I hit the table and there were actually two seats open. I sat and bought $80 in chips which seemed a little small but reasonable. Dealer brought me in without asking but did not make me a pay a forced blind. (strange) I drop out and seat to my left is empty. I notice that there are 7 people in on the flop!!! Thats right, only one person folded. I think to myself that this could be a nice night.

Second hand JJ in the BB does nothing. I miss on a few more low pocket pocket pairs and decent starting hands and before I know it I am down about $40. Not playing too many hands but I start to get a very weak tight feeling in my stomach as I realize that 3-6 is maybe a little out of my comfort level since I normally play .50/$1 online.

But the table play is pretty awfull. The only really solid player is a girl sitting across the table that has quickly gone up about $200. Her husband did give her an awful lot of hand advice at first but a new dealer finally put a stop to it.

Most hands are being raised at least once now so I get dealt AKs and I raise. 5 Callers. The flop is KKx rainbow. I raise and only one guy dropps out. The turn is a K. I bet out and it is raised, I reraise and it is three handed!! (at this point I am just counting the chips and salivating) I don't have any idea why people were betting but I am assuming at least one had a pocket pair for a full house. Huge pot puts me up about $50.

I get back to my game and grind my way to +$100 or so and decide to leave by the next blinds. My wife has Pizza at the hotel and I want to get back.

Before the blind I get (you guessed it) AA. Raised preflop. Flop comes down Q and two cards connected by a 1 gap. I bet out. Turn comes another connecter. I raise the turn but to no avail. The last connnecter comes and there is a four straight on the board. A different better leads out on the river and I realize that i am cooked. Call down. Oh well. I still ended up +$85 for about two-three hours of play.

BTW just for those who say that the $6 rake cant be beaten. It is a percentage so small pots are not raked as much. With 7 players to almost every flop there is a lot of dead money in the pot to make up for the rake.

Good times.
Greg
Old 06-03-2005, 02:55 AM

Default Re: Trip report: Harrah\'s New Orleans

The one time I was there I posted in the CO. The next hand someone else sat down and didnt post. Dealer didnt say anything or push my blind back to me. I felt cheated. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
Old 06-03-2005, 03:14 AM

you just missed the WSOP circuit [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Old 06-03-2005, 09:55 AM

They never make you post. Maybe they thought you were calling blind.
Old 06-03-2005, 10:19 AM

Sounds a lot like my trip a little over a month ago. Lots of strange hands - including a ton of very low straights won by junk starting hands.

I actually apologized to the table when I played 72o from the big blind (unraised), made a 10-high straight on the turn, and won the hand.
Old 06-03-2005, 11:50 AM

Harrah's billboard campaign is "C'mon, it's New Orleans." What they really mean is, "C'mon, limp in UTG with T3s, it's New Orleans."
Old 06-03-2005, 12:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Harrah's billboard campaign is "C'mon, it's New Orleans." What they really mean is, "C'mon, limp in UTG with T3s, it's New Orleans."

[/ QUOTE ]

Its great if you are patient and your cards hold up well. I could see this being a recipe for tilt if a player was easily set off.

My form of tilt tends to be getting less agressive with weaker starting hands (not raising 99 in middle position etc) because the likelyhood of getting a suckout are high even if I hit my set. But for the most part 7 to a flop is sweet!

Greg
Old 06-03-2005, 02:15 PM

I had a lot of fun playing when I was in NO. I was there for the NADA conference and there was nothing better than playing with a bunch of drunken car dealers who had more money than brains. I turned $80 into $270 in a little over 2 and a half hours. The table was awesome and I should have stayed longer. The only thing sending me home was that the buffet was wreaking havoc on me. All in all a very fun time.
Old 06-03-2005, 02:52 PM

I was playing 3/6 on a Tuesday evening I believe it was. A little later that evening, they started a 10/20 game on the table behind me. I heard the dealer at that 10/20 game say "5 people to the flop." No kidding. So I started talking with the dealer at my table and she said its a very good game. 5 people to the flop on a Tuesday! Right then and there I decided I had a new goal in life.
Old 06-06-2005, 11:31 AM

I would like to point out if you plan to stay right next to Harrah's in a hotel to exploit the parking garage. Parking anywhere in the french quarter is around $20 a night. Well if you play poker at the room they will 24hr validate the parking for the harrah's garage. Each day, just take a quick drive, get a new parking ticket, never pay parking. Hey, $20 a day for parking, I think is a bit of cash just to throw away.