Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-26-2004, 12:50 PM

Default Re: Quick Question

Their stud was awful too. The stud/7 from ace spade was even worse. I think it is harder to model stud as it is hard to model the semi-bluff and representation in stud.

Univ of Alberta has some interesting research in their Poki game playing software as well. Their papers are quite interesting too.
Old 01-26-2004, 04:00 PM

Default A Note on Turbo

Mason: Turbo does some things well and some things poorly. It is generally capable of simulating an ABC player somewhat decently, which can make it useful for getting some sort of baseline idea of what happens in normal situations.

However, it doesn't have much real intelligence. Thus, even though it knows the standard plays in standard spots, it can't reason about how to play in exceptional situations.

I would guess that what's happening here is that the hugs rake on this hand is not something with which the turbo opponents know how to deal, so the standard opponents call way too loosely out of the blinds-- they don't tighten up in the same way that the player's you describe in real games do because they don't correctly account for the giant rake.

If I am wrong and the simulations that were run do account for this (probably by manually editing the preflop calling/ raising standards of the players in the blinds to be in line with those of real players in this spot), I hope someone will correct me.
Old 01-26-2004, 05:58 PM

hi mason
i'm now just settling in back at home here after trying out tunica. there's no aol in tunica so i haven't been able to post. i keep putting off switching to another server. anyway, this post addresses an area in my game that i'm very weak in. i was thinking about it on my way back home; stupid steal raising.....whew. it's kind of off the topic but oh, that stupid small blind again when steal raising. whoever said that you don't look left beyond the button before a steal raise? that was bad advice. for a month straight almost every one of my ruined steal raises was ruined by the SB. and i have no excuse because i could have easily looked left to the SB and gotten enough info to tell whether he'd call or not. but someone, i think briar, coached me not to. he said that you couldn't tell what the SB or BB will do. but that's not right. you can't tell what the BB will do, but the crummy SB always indicates whether he will fold or not. but i fluffed his indications off because that's what i was told. ooooo, i got popped too many times just stupidly looking left only as far as the button before a steal raise. if any of you out there know what your opponents will do before they do it, never ever steal raise without also considering what the SB will do. do not pay any attention though to the BB, but only the BB and not the SB. whew, will you ever lose by playing your steal raises without considering the SB. the stupid SB is probably more likely than the other players to tell you what he will do. whew. i know it doesn't sound important but if you begin to develop an ability to infer a little but have also been exposed to bad advice about not considering any inferences from the SB and BB since their little tells are crippled because they have a stake in the hand, well that's only true for the BB. even when the BB looks like he will fold, he will often call anyway. but not the SB. now the SB won't have the same demeanor as the button and CO, but that SB will 'anchor'. do you know what that means? well, it's a word i made up so even i'm not sure what it means. but the SB will like 'anchor' you know? anchorie like. wait, i have to reread your post.

oh right, the time thing. well, yes mason. they do consider this in the decision process. yes, i do think that you should steal in this situation, unless the SB is anchorie.
Old 01-27-2004, 06:01 AM

Default Re: why on earth don\'t they just collect time in the normal fashion?

Hi Al:

The reason it's done the way it is is simply because that's what the players want.

Best wishes,
Mason
Old 01-27-2004, 03:38 PM

Default A related point/question

If the other players and specially the three or four players on your left are correctly adjusting for and accounting for the timepot impact on the play, would it not be better to opt out of the time pot, pay your own time and attack the blinds with more abandon. This way when you do get caught stealing atleast you have better odds to draw out. if you can steal one additional set of blinds every few hours you will recover the time charge and then some.

Of course in lower limit games where the guy on the button will cold call with J-5 suited regardless of the timepot impact ..........
Old 01-27-2004, 04:35 PM

Default misread your question NM

Old 01-27-2004, 09:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The position of both David Sklansky and myself is that TTH plays so badly you can't draw any conclusions about it concerning anything that deals with real life hold 'em games.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mason,

This is a sobering view. However, at least in the few cases that I have tried to do such things, the results do agree with expert views. Could it be that playing badly makes it a good simulator of bad play? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

BTW, thanks for making the time to contribute-- it makes these forums a sensational resource.