Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-2004, 10:26 AM

Default Re: Quick Question

Hmm... I think I would tend to play more pairs but tighten up on other hands.

Old 01-19-2004, 01:59 PM

Please start this thread. I've no opinion of my own on the subject, but I'd love to hear the agruments.

-Scott
Old 01-19-2004, 06:25 PM

IME, you should be more inclined to open raise in early and mid position. Not only is there a greater chance of winning the blinds, it is also easier to win with a bet on the flop.

I do not make any changes in the cut-off and button positions because my open raising standards are already pretty low.
Old 01-19-2004, 06:26 PM

Actually, I think steal frequency in time pots should probably be reduced somewhat even if the blinds are decent players (assuming you too are part of the "time pot" and didn't pay your own time).
Old 01-19-2004, 06:52 PM

I don't really understand why the time is taken based on a particular hand, but anyway, here is my thought. The time payment should not make a difference if all players are considering it. If you raise, I consider it more likely that you are trying to take advantage of the situation and may not have that good of a hand. This is similar to a kill pot game. I see all the time where the first player in makes a raise because the blinds are relatively small and he has a shot at getting heads up, or stealing the kill-post. Raising frequency is higher in these situations for just that reason. Raising frequency should be higher in your game for the same reason.

Of course, I would have to consider my opponents. If they are oblivious to this situation, I would have to tighten up substantially to overcome the rake.

Why do they take the time out of a pot? Or am I not reading the situation correctly.
Old 01-19-2004, 07:47 PM

What qualifies as a big hand?
Old 01-19-2004, 09:52 PM

Hey,

One way to think about your question is to compare your situation with a similar situation in a raked game.

For example, a $5/$10 HE game with a 10% rake up to $4. The maximum rake is almost a small bet (actually 80%). If you raise and there is no flop then there is no rake and you win both blinds.

In your situation the time charge with 8 players at the table is also 80% of a small bet. If you raise and there is no flop, the time charge is not taken and you win the blinds.

In the raked game if you are called there will be at least $25 in the pot if there is no further action. Let's assume the maximum rake will be taken. So, we actually have identical situations.

So, your question is practically identical to a question I have been curious about for quite some time: "In a raked game, should you be less inclined to bring it in for a raise where the outcome is i) winning the blinds and no rake taken or ii) playing a probable headsup pot with a rake?"

I would like to hear others opinions on this because I have been very curious about this for quite some time. The majority of pots played in my $5/$10 raked game are multiway in which the rake percentage is lower than 10%. However, when I find myself on the button looking down at KQs or ATo I wonder is it even worth it to play the hand because of the rake ( as opposed to a rake free game where I definitely raise and play the hand).

Later,
JM

[ QUOTE ]
Hi Everyone:

In the $80-$160 game at The Bellagio an interesting situation frequently occurs.

It's a time game where every 30 minutes $8 per person is collected from the pot. Since the game is full at nine handed, as much as $72 will be collected. However, the money is only taken from the pot if there is a flop.

In other words, if someone raises and no one calls, that person gets both the small and big blinds and the time is not taken. Instead, the next pot becomes the time pot, but again there must be a flop for the time to come out.

Now what frequently happens is that if you're the first in raiser in a time pot, your chances of winning the blinds go up because people are less likely to call since they are aware that the pot is approximately 2 small bets smaller. However, even though you are more likely to win this pot before the flop with a raise, it is much smaller if someone does play against you.

So the question is: Should you be more inclined to raise first in in a time pot or less inclined?

I have my opinion on this, and will get back a little later with it.

Best wishes,
mason

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 01-19-2004, 09:59 PM

I have no idea either other than I suspect you should greatly tighten up in early/middle positions when opening and also when limping behind limpers to a lessor degree. Maybe you should raise more in the cutoff or button, dunno.

Anyways I would certainly would like to see a thread about must move games. The mid limit games at my card barn are on permanant must move when another one gets going, and right now I'm not sure whether or not its a good thing. Certainly in general the main game is usually not much tougher (but it is a bit) than the must move.
Old 01-19-2004, 10:17 PM

I think more inclined to raise first in, people will be less likely to call raises, even the blinds.
Old 01-20-2004, 12:51 AM

Location: \"Let me make it nearly unanimous -- misplayed on every street.\"

Certainly in general the main game is usually not much tougher (but it is a bit) than the must move.

Yes this would be one of my points.

The other point would be that the fish aren't as likely to make it to the main game when your stuck in it.