Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2005, 05:28 PM

Default Re: Texas Holdem Hand

Depending on the context of the game... you will get the volume to justify the limp to flop a set, occasionally. However, personally I wouldn't limp unless I have 2 limpers in front of me.

However, overlimping will sometimes encourage the right type of player behind you to overlimp as well. Thus creating the volume you are looking for. It is a hard situation to explicitly describe, but you know it when you see it.
Old 12-11-2005, 06:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Depending on the context of the game... you will get the volume to justify the limp to flop a set, occasionally. However, personally I wouldn't limp unless I have 2 limpers in front of me.

However, overlimping will sometimes encourage the right type of player behind you to overlimp as well. Thus creating the volume you are looking for. It is a hard situation to explicitly describe, but you know it when you see it.

[/ QUOTE ]

i thought you were im plying that in this spot in this situation its ok to overlimp 22 after 1 limper occasioanlly.

i dont think its ever ok to limp 22 after 1 limper in this game in that spot. thus i asked clarification.

if its a loose game, and fairly passive, then its a totally different game than the one steve is writing about. in all likelihood at 1/2 after you limp 22 after 1 limiper, somebody will raise, or one more person will limp and it'll be between 3-5 handed with you not in an ideal position to extract the most from your set or better the 1 in 8.5 times you hit. further, you wont get paid off as well and overall i think 22 here limping after 1 limper is always a mistake.

Barron
Old 12-11-2005, 07:54 PM

In the 1/2 game it is definitely a bad play. However, this was a 50/100 hand and in my experience that game is more passive then the 1/2. It plays fairly similar to the 30/60... not identical but similar. I don't think overlimping is a habit you want to get into... no matter what your holding. However, in that 50 or the 30 I don't think it is entirely wrong to do occasionally.

In the 1/2 it is always wrong here.
Old 12-11-2005, 08:17 PM

This isn't a logical approach at all. You can't simply reverse-engineer to the hands he would play the flop onwards and not weight their preflop-flop probs (assuming you haven't down so).

For analysis for this type of player in this scenario raising from BB p/f: I'd likely put AA-QQ at 100(-d)%; JJ 70%; QJs 5%; AQ 10%; AQs: 30%

AQ has to be discounted a little on the flop too.

I also think, that bty raising on the turn (a mistake I'd easily make here) I'm struggling to protect myself against many hands at all - i.e. by protecting I mean getting hands to fold that I fear will outdraw me - I prlly won't get em to fold. Even if those hands fold, I can't see it being worth the trade-off for doing someone else's value-raising.

chaos
Old 12-11-2005, 08:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In the 1/2 game it is definitely a bad play. However, this was a 50/100 hand and in my experience that game is more passive then the 1/2. It plays fairly similar to the 30/60... not identical but similar. I don't think overlimping is a habit you want to get into... no matter what your holding. However, in that 50 or the 30 I don't think it is entirely wrong to do occasionally.

In the 1/2 it is always wrong here.

[/ QUOTE ]

i forgot this hand was 50 [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] my bad.

Barron
Old 12-11-2005, 10:12 PM

np... Do you agree that the games are substantially different? In my experience I have felt that they are... just curious what others thoughts are?
Old 12-11-2005, 10:21 PM

I disagree. I think small pairs are great in the big party games and you stand to get paid off very well, very often. I'd rarely fold 22 after a limper.
Old 12-11-2005, 10:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I disagree. I think small pairs are great in the big party games and you stand to get paid off very well, very often. I'd rarely fold 22 after a limper.

[/ QUOTE ]

well we can disagree then b/c i dont think the pot gets multiway and you hit your set enough or you dont face another 2 back to you that its worth it after 1 limper.

this is of course assuming the players behind you are not all loosey goosey and passive b/c typically they'll be agressive and tighter than the game in which i would play 22 after a limper.

Barron
Old 12-11-2005, 10:49 PM

It occurs to me that our disagreement is probably a moot point. My guess is that each time this sort of situation actually comes up we're both looking at the numbers on the players behind us and making pretty similar choices. On a side note, have you been playing this game much lately?
Old 12-11-2005, 11:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It occurs to me that our disagreement is probably a moot point. My guess is that each time this sort of situation actually comes up we're both looking at the numbers on the players behind us and making pretty similar choices. On a side note, have you been playing this game much lately?

[/ QUOTE ]

nope, but ive peeked in on occasion. when i did used to play it for the most part i would not be limping 22 after 1 limper. so the dynamics could have easily changed.

either way you're right in that its kinda a moot point. steve played well and folded.

Barron