Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2005, 01:33 PM

Default Re: A9s in BB facing a raise...

OutofStep,

It is pretty much generally accepted, especially at the lower levels, that this is a fold. And frankly, I can't blame this thought. Furthermore, a reraise, particularly on the lower levels has a high degree of being called. A9 is still a very vulnerable hand. It doesn't hold up so well against KQs for example (55/45), and with all the deadchips in the pot, it would be very correct for villain to call.

If you are going to consider "defending your blind" at this juncture, a stop N go is without a doubt the best route. Meaning that no matter what the flop is, you're pushing it (unless you flop two pair or better).

Good luck at the tables
Scuba
Who would probably fold here unless I have a read.
Old 07-26-2005, 01:34 PM

Fold sounds right to me.

Still six players left. Blinds not too high. Plenty chips and time left to take a stand with a better hand. You're hoping to catch a 1 in 15 shot at hitting a flush or maybe pair a semi-weak Ace. Very easy to get trapped into a losing hand if you hit your ace and opponent is holding A-10, AJ, etc...
Old 07-26-2005, 01:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yup, I really can't abide by the fold preflop, when it's 150 into a 300+75+150 = 525 pot, seems insane to me when you have a half decent hand that has very good chance to become the best hand, or at least a strong draw on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tiger, this line is a leak.

Scuba
Old 07-26-2005, 01:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
OutofStep,

It is pretty much generally accepted, especially at the lower levels, that this is a fold. And frankly, I can't blame this thought. Furthermore, a reraise, particularly on the lower levels has a high degree of being called. A9 is still a very vulnerable hand. It doesn't hold up so well against KQs for example (55/45), and with all the deadchips in the pot, it would be very correct for villain to call.

If you are going to consider "defending your blind" at this juncture, a stop N go is without a doubt the best route. Meaning that no matter what the flop is, you're pushing it (unless you flop two pair or better).

Good luck at the tables
Scuba
Who would probably fold here unless I have a read.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is correct. Scuba Chuck is wise.
Old 07-26-2005, 01:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i think i'm making this 'my moment'. 1) you're likely ahead, 2) villian can actually fold to your push.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless villain has been raising alot and getting out of line (which the OP didn't mention) why in the world would you think you're ahead here? Here's what you're behind: all PPs, AT+. Here's what you're ahead of: two broadway cards. Against a normal raising range from villain's position, how often are you ahead again?
Old 07-26-2005, 01:37 PM

It's not so terrible to just call here and see the flop without the intention of randomly pushing on any flop. I'm not saying I'd do that but it's okay to defend the BB to a min raise without deciding to committ all your chips.
Old 07-26-2005, 01:40 PM

I'd almost always fold but if villain has been even somewhat active I'd try a stop n go here. I don't stop n go enough, I think.
Old 07-26-2005, 01:40 PM

Another 150 chips is 15% of Hero's stack. If the blinds go up within the next orbit, Hero will lose a LOT of FE here (585 vs. 735 assuming the Hero doesn't get another steal opportunity before blinds go up). I really don't like calling here and playing the flop normally.
Old 07-26-2005, 01:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]

It's not so terrible to just call here and see the flop without the intention of randomly pushing on any flop. I'm not saying I'd do that but it's okay to defend the BB to a min raise without deciding to committ all your chips.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? Call off an additional 15% of your chips? I know you say you wouldn't do it, but I don't think calling and folding is very optimal. Furthermore, I think the only thing that makes calling profitable over time is the resteal with nothing. Otherwise, I think it's a race for who has a better kicker (50% of the time), assuming you're waiting to hit the flop.

I would like to know why you think this line is okay/profitable?

Scuba
Old 07-26-2005, 01:59 PM

Its okay because there are 525 chips in the pot and it costs you 150 to call. Also you are facing an raise from a stealing position and you have a clearly above average hand. I don't think a stop+go is terrible, but I don't think that calling and seeing what the flop brings is terrible either.

Note that I don't need to hit the flop. If it comes down 432 I might now employ a stop+go. I'd be a bit more careful on a KQ7 flop however, as the chances of it hitting the opponent might be too high to justify moving allin on the flop.