Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2005, 01:46 PM

Default Re: AK vs. over-aggressive player, QQ

with 5 in, how often am i ahead, and can i really fold a K if it's out there? i don't know i'd rather just get out of that hand.
Old 11-28-2005, 01:52 PM

I don't know if you can fold a K, but you can fold a hand like T9 that has ~6 outs against you, or 76, both of which have odds to draw when you just call. I'd like to get it HU in position if possible, where you have the ability to capitalize on future streets. Stealing the BTN is gold here.
Old 11-28-2005, 01:55 PM

let's assume the table is very loose. does this still work? or am i better off folding?
Old 11-28-2005, 02:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
let's assume the table is very loose. does this still work? or am i better off folding?

[/ QUOTE ]

well, here's where I have a bit of a problem as well. Let's say we raise this flop and somehow *know* that somebody has a gutshot. Am I now correct in thinking that we actually want them to call with incorrect odds? Or do we still want them to fold so that we win the pot more often. I would like to see some math on this, but am not really sure what exactly to do.
Old 11-28-2005, 02:06 PM

I believe if someone calls without odds, you make more money than you would if they fold. The correct play for them is to fold, calling is a mistake, and if you have an equity edge in the hand, you should profit from their mistake. Now, if one player calls with 83 and another with 92 and another with a gutshot, their play almost becomes correct given the generous pot size for their 4/5 outers. But this isn't usually the case, either such calling or holding such hands.

The bigger issue is the aggression of the bettor. Will he bet draws/middle pair into a pfr? Absent that, is he reasonably aggressive in general? If we aren't ahead of him a good portion of the time, raising is no good considering we will also lose to people behind us either b/c they have a better hand or will make one by the river.
Old 11-28-2005, 02:07 PM

depends how many people have one. just one, stay in, if more then we are in trouble.
Old 11-28-2005, 03:25 PM

On the second hand, flop play, I think that this is a prime example of the SSHE concept of "when the player on your immediate right bets, it is almost never correct to call, either raise or fold". In this case I think that you can raise pretty easily. After that the play would change dramatically. I think that if it gets reraised you have to ask youself if the villan would bet A9 (or something like that), if so that is very aggressive.

After the flop raise I think that I can fold to any further aggression played towards me, either a bet out on the turn, or a check raise.

Margon
Old 11-28-2005, 04:05 PM

I check/fold the turn in hand one. You cap preflop, OOP, and he still wants to give you action? Only getting 7.75-1, and 6 outs is right at break even if you always win when you spike, but you won't. In addition you're only getting 4.5-1 to call down, and you're not ahead that often even before the Q hits on the river, IMO. You're definitely beat by the river as other posters have said.

In hand two, raise the flop because this is .5/1.00 and these people are idiots. You can make those who call trying to spike two pair, gutshot, or a bare ace make a mistake by raising. And you can retake initiative of the hand, and get to showdown for cheap because these players are bad and will let you abuse them with position.

You should work on having a plan throughout the hand. In the three hands I've read that you've posted all three seem to have actions that don't really follow along. In the QQ hand, why call the flop if you're going to fold the turn without a fight? You don't have odds to spike a set on the flop. So, raise the flop or fold. Have a plan throughout the hand to protect your hand the best you can, especially in these large multiway pots common to microstakes. Read SSHE if you haven't already, and if you have, read it again. A lot of the concepts it covers about protecting your hand can be applied to the hands you've been posting.
Old 11-28-2005, 04:40 PM

do you have a page ref. for that? i want to look it up.
Old 11-28-2005, 04:42 PM

actually i think because it was capped preflop that makes him more likely to bet the hand aggressively. there's more reward if he can push me out.