Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2005, 03:06 PM

Default Continuation bet size and optimal frequency?

I generally make continuation bets of half the pot. Is it wise to vary the amount some times?
Also, I go on judgement when to make the bet but is there a mathematical optimium frequency?
I tend to make the bets when i'm out of position rather than in position, where I sometimes take the free card and if it's no help I might make a continuation bet on the turn.
Would like to hear your thoughts.
Old 09-28-2005, 03:38 PM

Default Re: Continuation bet size and optimal frequency?

continuation bets are often dependent (as is everything) of the hand and game...i play a very big and loose 1/2 game where a standard preflop raise is 15-20. in a loose aggressive game like this my continuation bets are often bigger, and yes if you miss with your big cards it wouldnt make sense a lot of the time to throw out a bet if youre in position to take a free card. basically i think it has a lot to do withyour opponent. Harrington talks about continuation bets in hold em tourneys in his book...he mentions how you should vary it based on pot size. 80% of the time lead out for 1/2 the pot, 15% do it for 1/4, 5% do it for 3/4...
Old 09-28-2005, 04:45 PM

At the NL50 at party I go with the 1/2 pot bet size, but the added aggression at 100 and 200 makes these too readable and exploitable. I only continuation bet when checked to in position with 2 opponents max, or heads up OOP. The board is the deciding factor for me. I don't continuation bet on draw heavy boards with broadway cards, I like to have the possiblity of hitting something on the turn, even if its just pairing my overs.

Frequency is therefore a factor of the cards and not something I do with any consideration of bluffing or game theory ( my bets are usually semi semi bluffs)

2 cents - may be worth less than that to you
Old 09-28-2005, 04:46 PM

Make it about 2/3rds of the pot, and don't use them everytime. Only do it when the board texture and number of opponents warrants it... be more inclined to bet in position then out. Seldom do it versus more than 1 opponent.
Old 09-28-2005, 07:04 PM

You raise with AK, the board comes Q94r, and an opponent who called after he limped or called in the blinds checks to you. This is a standard continuation bet right?
Old 09-28-2005, 07:50 PM

What about a random bet amount? You could look at your watch and use it to pick an amount between, say, 50 and 100% of the pot size. For example, if it is 30 sec past the minute, make the bet 75% of the pot. I like to bet varying amounts, as long as I'm not giving pot odds to obvious draws. That way, no one who knows anything can get a read. I've found that if I don't bet random amounts, I tend to bet larger to protect my hands and bet smaller with continuation bets and/or steals. You could also break it down into whether you are going to bet a flop that misses you at all. Say, if the second is even, bet; if it is odd, don't bet. You can tweak the odds using game theory vs. the odds that the flop hits your opponent, of course.

Just a brain dump ...
Old 09-28-2005, 07:57 PM

I agree with that completely. But don't forget to throw in curveballs.
Old 09-28-2005, 07:58 PM

yes that's standard. your opponent will likely fold right there, and if not, an A or K may win the hand for you anyway.