Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2004, 03:10 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand
Default Re: what if

Not that it would ever happen, but ill humor it.

There is no way they'd offer me his job.

My old job with better pay and assurance he's gone? No. Knowing how the higher ups work and how 2 faced they are to everyone in there, the company as a whole would have to change. That just isn't going to happen. Though it does ping a little inside for temptation, if anything, because the job is sooooo easy. But im also sick of paying exhorbant insurance costs (3-4x normal with a clean DOT record) and my own gas (fillup 2-3 times a week with 35 gallons) and upkeep for my truck. They'd have to really come in with a high number to compensate going back.

The ones i will really miss, is dealing with the clients that were on my route. They were cool. I blame them for making it easy to stay as long as i did. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

b
Old 08-24-2004, 03:16 PM

Default Re: Showdown with the boss....(long)

[ QUOTE ]
It sounds like you guys should have had that conversation a long time ago but I understand why not.

[/ QUOTE ]

funny thing is, we had had that exact type of conversation. A few times. Same old thing. This wasn't a first time occurrence for the great majority of topics that were brought up. This is what i mean by what i had to deal with, usually twice a week since he's been there. Usually on a monday to start the week or a friday. This is how everyone knew how much i'd been getting screwed. It was well out in the open on a regular basis.

The moron just never got it. Ever.

Still doesn't.

b
Old 08-24-2004, 04:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've pondered the idea of calling OSHA on them. Just for the hell of it. But it would've been much better if i did that while i was working there.

[/ QUOTE ]

fwiw, i don't think it would matter much if you were an ex-employee or a current one. from your side of the story, it sounds like they have a bunch of willful-serious violations that could add up to well into the 6 figures. BTW, I'm a safety manager and have been through an OSHA investigation for a very similar incident (disgruntled ex-employee...). They did not screw around and reamed us. The line people at our company (me and my co-workers) didn't get fired over it, and the company ended up paying a big fine. The good result of it all was that management was much more receptive to safety issues following that, and our entire department was restructured (a good thing).
Old 08-24-2004, 06:34 PM

im looking for a job. post his name and companys name.

p.s. im crazy
Old 08-24-2004, 06:57 PM

never really posted in this forum much, but nice story bernie. have read your trials and tribulations, and i too have gone through the same mud. i quit my advertising sales job today also. too bad for me i didnt get to have the same going out flame party you did... and i would have definately socked him in the kisser for what he said, props on holding that in...

congrats on that nice score at the tables also. that was amazing. good luck with your new future..
Old 08-24-2004, 08:47 PM

nice story.

i always think of situations like yours when some of the more judgemental folks come on here and start telling everyone that playing online-poker for income (professionally or whatever) is stupid compared with the security of having a 'real' job.

poker-for-income isn't for everyone obviously...especially if you aren't a winning player.
but for many people in situations like the one you were in, it is obviously worth taking a shot at.
the stress and misery at far too many workplaces just isn't worth it.

i feel reasonably comfortable making my income via online-poker now and think i can continue to do it.

if i decide to go back into the 'regular' work-force i can be significantly more choosy than i was previously.
and if the situation just doesn't meet up with my initial expectations i can ditch it.

i can also work at a job i love part-time and get lousy pay if it's something i truly will enjoy doing. i can make up for the income-gap via poker (as long as the games stay good....if not, then i'll have to be less choosy and more responsible obviously).

a lot of my friends at my former work-place want me to go back and really tell-off some of the idiots.
i couldn't do that when i first left....i had to grit my teeth and play out my 2-week notice string because i needed to keep that job opportunity available in case i really got spanked at online-poker.

now that online-poker is working out i really don't care enough about them anymore to bother.

bernie - i know the revenge of telling off a-hole supervisors is sweet so congrats to you.
i suspect you will be able to turn the page and move forward in your life in the weeks to come.
the longer you stay away from that place the better off you will be. but i also very much understand your desire to go back and pick up your paychecks in person.

also - maybe give Gail and others a call and say 'Were all going out for margaritas this Friday.....I'm Buying!!'
Old 08-24-2004, 11:50 PM

Good for you. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Now, if you ever see the guy out on the town or whatever, be sure to go up and give him a big greeting. The big handshake, "How ya doin?!" backslapping politician happy to see him BS while he's in front of his friends. He won't know what to do and might have a meltdown. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 08-25-2004, 04:50 AM

Thanks for the post. I agree with your thinking completely. That is very much how im looking at the situation.

[ QUOTE ]
i know the revenge of telling off a-hole supervisors is sweet so congrats to you

[/ QUOTE ]

What's even better is that i didn't instigate it. He did. A buddy of mine yapped at me not to go in and act like a lottery A-hole that yells at the boss and such. I laughed and said, 'but i am a lottery a-hole'. So i took the high road and just said the minimal to him. Yet for him, that wasn't good enough. I was pleased to tell my bud that part as i told him i thought of him a bit when i walked in there. But once he came and opened his yap, he was fair game. It was kind of like winning a small/mid pot. Longrun it won't really matter much. But shortterm, damn it feels good to drag it!

Thanks again.

b
Old 08-26-2004, 12:22 AM

Great story bernie, grats on the win.

As for calling OSHA on them... if the turnover rate is really high, then you won't be injuring coworkers too severely. Most likely it'll just give management fits. I say go for it.