Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2005, 03:52 AM

Default Another 44 lol

Empire 1/2 6 handed.

Hero is dealt 4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

1 fold, Hero raises, 2 folds, SB 3 bets,BB calls, Hero calls.

Flop
4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

SB bets, BB raises, Hero 3 bets, SB caps, BB calls, Hero Calls.

Turn: 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

SB checks, BB bets, Hero raises, SB cc's BB 3 bets, hero calls, SB calls.

River 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (thank god)

4 bets on the river.

Ok play?
Old 09-23-2005, 03:57 AM

Default Re: Another 44 lol

don't raise the turn.
Old 09-23-2005, 04:12 AM

Yeap.. your turn play is major spewage.
Old 09-23-2005, 04:18 AM

Preflop: I think raising 44 from LMP is a little too ornery. I prefer folding here unless the players behind me are too tight.

Flop: I prefer just calling here and then raising the turn if a blank hits (this is one of those weird cases where a blank is a high card, anyway...) I don't like raising the flop because you aren't a very big favorite over the draws that are out there, so the EV you gain by a flop raise is small... But if you call and the turn is something like the J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] then the EV from a turn raise is substantial.

Turn: Horrible card, but you still easily have odds to call and try to river a full house. The chances you are best now are very slim... I think a raise qualifies as spewing.

River: Another horrible card, easy fold [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] .

Just my opinion...
Old 09-23-2005, 04:21 AM

Pumping this flop is a MUST. You can just about guarantee 3 if not 4 bets on the flop alone with hopes that a brick hits the turn & you can get 2-3 more in on the turn. I also see nothing wrong with raising 44 from UTG+1 after UTG fold.
Old 09-23-2005, 04:23 AM

Preflop a little light, turn bad, rest beautiful.
Old 09-23-2005, 04:25 AM

Im not tight enough PF? And yea i new the turn was bad
Old 09-23-2005, 04:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Pumping this flop is a MUST. You can just about guarantee 3 if not 4 bets on the flop alone with hopes that a brick hits the turn & you can get 2-3 more in on the turn. I also see nothing wrong with raising 44 from UTG+1 after UTG fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty much in total disagreement with this assessment. I'd be interested to hear your reasoning.

As far as the preflop raise goes, I don't like it because you probably aren't going to take the blinds, but you probably aren't going to have enough callers to profitably try to spike a set either. Most of the time you'll end up out of position with an underpair. At best this is a tricky situation, at worst it is -EV. I don't think this mistake is horrible, but I definitely think it is a mistake.

As for the flop, yes, you can easily pump this up to 3 bets now... but you aren't really gaining much in terms of EV with all those draws out there. The draws are happy to jamb the flop, but if you put in the last raise on the flop they'll just check/call on the turn if a blank falls. For this reason I think your assesment that you'll collect 2-3 turn bets from a worse hand is unlikely if you have already raised the flop. By just calling on the flop you are almost guaranteeing yourself 2 turn bets.
Old 09-23-2005, 04:43 AM

I disagree. When a brick hits the turn a big PP is likely to bet making you get at least 2 bets on the turn. When that scare card hits you are hoping it gets checked thru or that you only have to put in 1 bet to try and fill up on the river. When you call the flop and only 2 SB goes in on the flop and a scare card hits the turn(which there are many of) you are likely to get 0 or 1 bet on the turn.
Old 09-23-2005, 04:50 AM

I don't mind the turn. Imagine if we can clean up spade outs too.

-DeathDonkey