Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2005, 12:38 PM

Default Re: The best advice I\'ve ever gotten

I'm having a hard time understanding how this is different from pressing your bets on a craps table (EV implication aside). so you are saying to "let it ride" when variance is your friend? How do you tell when you are "winning" and how do you tell when you have stopped and it's time to move back down? *before* it hurts.

I play big when the game is good. I have the roll for it. When the game is not good I do not play.
Old 05-25-2005, 01:10 PM

Default Re: I hope you are not serious

[ QUOTE ]
My post has serious implications even if you DON'T tilt and are pretty much emotionless.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then I either don't understand or you are wrong. Maybe you can explain what these serious implications are.
Old 05-25-2005, 02:29 PM

I think this advice is most important from a psychological standpoint. When you are running well, you are usually confident and playing better than when you can't seem to make your hands stand up. Otherwise, it's Will Rogers' advice for the stock market:

"Buy stocks that go up, if they don't go up, don't buy them."

FWIW, I think OMFM is pretty sharp, but I like his other advice better: (and I paraphrase)

Find the highest limit you are comfortable and competent at and exploit it.

Dogmeat [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 05-25-2005, 02:35 PM

Sucker, this is an interesting post, and I've been turning it over in my head a bit. If I'm reading it right, it's not about riding rushes. Instead, it's about not falling into a rut. It's about taking frequent shots at bigger games, but moving back down when things don't work and you might be outclassed. Sounds like good advice to me.
Old 05-25-2005, 05:12 PM

I can't think of anything more true.
Most people move up when they lose to try and quickly recover their losses only to lose the rest.
Old 05-25-2005, 05:19 PM

Interesting advice Sucker, however, I also recall that a certain ex of yours (ahem, cough cough) gave you similar advice during one of your baddest of beats [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 05-25-2005, 07:34 PM

Default Re: I hope you are not serious

I use such a strategy for bankroll management. If you have 250BB for a particular level, and lose 100 of them, you can move down to a lower limit where the same amount of money represents more big bets. In this way, you can cope with a smaller bankroll.

I think that's part of what Sucker was getting at.
Old 05-25-2005, 07:50 PM

Simply said, you have to bet big to win big and you can't bet big if you're down. The advice is good common sense and I think some of you are losing a few brain cells trying to encrypt the message. And if you are that smart, why don't YOU live in the Mountains somewhere?
Old 05-25-2005, 08:03 PM

I don't think he's saying that, stox.

I think what he's saying is, when you're winning, it's usually a combination of you playing well, good games, and good luck. Or maybe you just completely dominate the opposition in the games.

When you're losing, it's often a combination of you playing not so well, not so good games, and bad luck. Or maybe you are just completely dominated by the opposition in the games.

So, when running good, you can move up and if indeed you are dominating the games, there's a good chance you'll be able to stay at the higher limits. If you start losing a lot, maybe you were winning for other reasons, so it's probably not that bad an idea to move down for a while 'til you start crushing the games again.

I have numerous times jumped down in limits from my "standard" game at the time just to crush a smaller game for a while, make sure I am playing great and really beating the games, and restore my confidence. It has been a long time since I really tilted (a really long time, in fact), but I definitely find myself making subtle changes in my game while stuck in horrible bad streaks. Just to clarify, in this post I'm talking in the context of having extended crap streaks, not getting worried after a tough session or two.
Old 05-25-2005, 10:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Simply said, you have to bet big to win big and you can't bet big if you're down. The advice is good common sense and I think some of you are losing a few brain cells trying to encrypt the message. And if you are that smart, why don't YOU live in the Mountains somewhere?

[/ QUOTE ]

Vehn?