Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2005, 02:29 AM

Default Would you rather raise KJo or 55 UTG in a TAG game?

Would you rather raise KJo or 55 UTG in a TAG game?
Old 07-31-2005, 02:38 AM

Default Re: Would you rather raise KJo or 55 UTG in a TAG game?

KJ
Old 07-31-2005, 02:44 AM

Old 07-31-2005, 02:45 AM

KJ. 55 you've got to commit to a showdown HU against a TAG alot of the time. KJ you can manipulate your EV by folding/raising in good spots.
Old 07-31-2005, 03:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
KJ. 55 you've got to commit to a showdown HU against a TAG alot of the time. KJ you can manipulate your EV by folding/raising in good spots.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought with KJ if you are called or 3-betted, you are dominated most of the time.
Old 07-31-2005, 03:28 AM

having KJ v AK isnt as bad as having 55 v 66-AA

Could cost you more if you play too aggressively, but in terms of % to win, you're better off.
Old 07-31-2005, 03:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought with KJ if you are called or 3-betted, you are dominated most of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

55 is in similiar trouble. The problem with 55 is when you get a flop of T73, or even Q84, you're gonna wanna take a direct route to a showdown, while with KJ, you can find alot more folds and value raises, increasing your EV.
Old 07-31-2005, 06:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
55 is in similiar trouble. The problem with 55 is when you get a flop of T73, or even Q84, you're gonna wanna take a direct route to a showdown, while with KJ, you can find alot more folds and value raises, increasing your EV.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by this. How will you be playing 55 or KJ differently on these two flops that will allow you to increase your EV with KJo?
Old 07-31-2005, 07:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by this. How will you be playing 55 or KJ differently on these two flops that will allow you to increase your EV with KJo?

[/ QUOTE ]

KJ will be able to fold out, while 55 will often be commited to a showdown.

In an "all-in" situation, 55 will probably do better against our opponents ranges of hands. However, we're not all-in, and we can control the action on later streets.

With 55, unless we flop a set, a large percentage of the time we've commited to a showdown on the flop. At that point, we're just throwing our 2.5BB's in and hoping it works out for us.

On the other hand, we can fold out alot of the times with KJo, and value raise the particularly good flops. So we get more in when we're likely to be ahead, and less in when we're behind.

55 may win more often, but we'll win more $$ on the good flops and lose less $ on the bad ones with KJo.
Old 07-31-2005, 07:14 AM

I think he's saying that it's much easier to play KJ correctly postflop. You'll be able to get in more money when you're ahead because it will be much clearer when that is and it will more often be clearer when you're behind with the KJ and should get away.

I'm not sure if it's clear state in terms of E.V. but I think KJ allows you to get full value from your hand more frequently than 55 does....err...even further, I think with KJ you more frequently extract the maximum when ahead and lose the minimum when you're behind than you do with 55.

WT