Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium-Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-31-2005, 03:24 AM

Default I was completely at loss at what to do here. (JJ overpair)

Villain is very tight and very aggressive. I fully expect a re-raise out of him with QQ+ preflop. He is 20.9/12 over 250 hands with a 3.44 aggression factor. I just don't know if he is testing out his TT or what here. I didn't know what to do.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 6 handed) internettexasholdem.com

CO ($242)
Button ($268.20)
SB ($306.30)
BB ($106.57)
UTG ($199.55)
Hero ($212.90)

Preflop: Hero is MP with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $1.
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $4</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $15</font>, CO calls $15, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, UTG folds.

Flop: ($37) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $35</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to $70</font>, hero ???
Old 12-31-2005, 03:44 AM

Default Re: I was completely at loss at what to do here. (JJ overpair)

This is really tough. Push doesnt look good on flop because we expect all the worse hands to fold. Calling and leading turn isnt so hot either because a turn lead will pretty much commit you. Folding also seems pretty damn weak on this flop, but I think that might be the correct play.

If villlains range is 88+, set, then we are smoked and should fold. If we can remove QQ, KK, AA, it becomes much trickier because I doubt villain will put any more money in the pot if we call/raise his flop bet.

Is there a chance villain could have something like 45s, or air here?

Is call and c/f a stupid line? It seems like it. If villain is a thinker he will know that when you call on the flop you have a hand and prob not try to push you out on turn. I have no clue. Someone point me in the right direction here.
Old 12-31-2005, 03:52 AM

I fold this in a heartbeat. Even if Villain is very tight and very aggressive, I don't expect him to 3-bet qq.

I think your probably beat here. I would pop it up more pf though to make this hand easier to play (4x villains pf raise).
Old 12-31-2005, 03:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I fold this in a heartbeat. Even if Villain is very tight and very aggressive, I don't expect him to 3-bet qq.

I think your probably beat here. I would pop it up more pf though to make this hand easier to play (4x villains pf raise).

[/ QUOTE ]

Hero raised to 15, villain raised to 4. 4x4=16. 15 is prefect IMO.
Old 12-31-2005, 05:37 AM

if you fully expect a reraise out of him QQ+, are you worried about 77? IMO he has a lower pair testing his waters.

problem is, if u just call there are many cards you dont want to see.
Old 12-31-2005, 06:07 AM

Fold.

When this tight player cold called your re-raise (albeit of a mini raise), you had to wonder. Now he's donk raising you pot bet on flop. If he's got 99 or TT he made the perfect play i guess. I'm still folding.
Old 12-31-2005, 07:50 AM

I don't like folding this. You didnt tell us your table image at that moment but Villain may just be testing you. If you make continuation bets most of the time you will face a lot of these miniraises and you can't fold hands as good as this.

I probably go with the call then checkfold option but might lead if an A or K hits on the turn. If Villain checks behind I block the river.
Old 12-31-2005, 09:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hero raised to 15, villain raised to 4. 4x4=16. 15 is prefect IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your right, my bad.
Old 12-31-2005, 01:49 PM

Well if you guys want results here they are:

Hero thought for a long time, then realized he was continuation betting a lot and may be taken advantage of and pushed. Villain called and tabled 77 for top set (on the flop). However, hero spiked a J on the river (no joke) and took down the pot.

I guess that works too, eh? :-P