Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 03-05-2003, 04:08 PM

Default shades of fascism: Peace shirts outlawed

GUILDERLAND, N.Y. (AP) -- About 100 anti-war demonstrators marched through a mall Wednesday to protest the arrest of a shopper who wore a T-shirt that read "Peace on Earth" and "Give Peace a Chance."
"We just want to know what the policy is and why it's being randomly enforced," said Erin O'Brien, an organizer of the noontime rally at the Crossgates Mall.
Protest leaders were scheduled to meet with the mall's manager after the rally. Calls to mall officials were not immediately returned.
On Monday, Stephen Downs, 61, and his son were asked by mall security guards to remove their peace-slogan shirts or leave. Downs' 31-year-old son, Roger, took off his shirt. But Downs refused.
The guards called police, and he was charged with trespassing and pleaded innocent.

The unelected, supreme leader will be pleased. I bet this 60 year old man is held without bail, nor access to an attorney for being a sympathizer of the supreme leader's victims.
Old 03-05-2003, 04:13 PM

Default Re: shades of fascism: Peace shirts outlawed

hes a dangerous radical. ill bet he knows other dangerous radicals.

somewhere there is intelligence indicating an imminent terrorist attack.

for the good of everyone we have to torture him and see if we can get any leads.

if it saves even one life it will be worth it.
Old 03-05-2003, 04:20 PM

To torture him we'd have to fly him to a country that permits vigorous interrogations to comply with the supreme leader's Christian values. Saudi Arabia and Kuwait would do just fine.
Old 03-05-2003, 04:34 PM

not if alan dershowitz, et al, get their way.
Old 03-05-2003, 04:45 PM

The supreme leader demands that everybody sing.......

"but I'm proud to be an American, where at least I can watch TV
and I won't forget the Iraqis that will die to keep that right for me

So STAND UP, Stick your right hand out, and salute the Bush CIA

You'd better recite this everyday' GOD BLESS THE USA

(and damn all those Muslims to hell, Jesus expects you to do this too, or you will risk the Lake of Fire)
Old 03-05-2003, 04:57 PM

Just a couple small points:

peace shirts weren't outlawed; private security guards not government officials asked them to remove the shirts or to leave; and the only charges are trespassing for not leaving upon request.

Now maybe the mall employees were wrong to ask them to leave and to push this matter--but the government didn't do anything wrong here as far as I can tell--and there is no law against peace shirts.

I don't think Bush will care one way or the other about this incident--but maybe someone could write a letter to the mall officials;-)

Old 03-05-2003, 05:32 PM

can u throw out a black person cause theyre getting uppity and drinking out of same water fountain?
Old 03-05-2003, 05:34 PM

Can someone explain to me why the word "uppity" is only used in association with blacks? (At least, I've never heard it used otherwise.) I like the word in the abstract, but seems to have developed a negative connotation.
Old 03-05-2003, 06:28 PM

Why is the word "ensuing" only used before the word "kickoff"?
Old 03-05-2003, 06:34 PM

Default FYI

Apparently there was a little more going on than just wearing of shirts. Below is a copy of the mall's press release. At this time, there is a bit of the "he said, they said" going on, but I'm sure that more info will be forthcoming.

My opinion? IF, the father-son duo in question were being disruptive, the mall had every right to request their departure. I don't quite understand the bit about asking them to remove the shirts, unless the shirts were an inducement to get into arguments with the other patrons of the mall. Mall security would probably be on firmer ground just asking the pair to leave, irrespective of whatever shirts they were wearing or not wearing.

(via instapundit.com)

STATEMENT BY TIM KELLEY, DIRECTOR OF OPERATIONS,
PYRAMID MALL MANAGEMENT REGARDING CROSSGATES MALL

On the evening of March 3, Crossgates Mall security received a complaint regarding two individuals disrupting customers. The individuals were approached by security because of their actions and interference with other shoppers. Their behavior, coupled with their clothing, to express to others their personal views on world affairs were disruptive of customers.

Crossgates’ management is committed to maintaining the mall as a family-friendly facility that provides a secure and enjoyable experience for all its visitors while allowing merchants a prosperous place to do business. While Crossgates Mall is perceived by some to be a public place, it is privately owned. The courts have affirmed that private properties, including shopping malls, have the right to restrict actions and behaviors deemed inconsistent with its intended purpose -- in this case a shopping environment.

The existing rules of conduct at Crossgates Mall strictly prohibit loitering, disorderly or disruptive conduct, harassment, offensive language, fighting or any illegal activity. The Mall will not tolerate violations of these regulations. In this instance, mall management given the information provided to them, determined the customers in question were violating mall policy.

Information has surfaced regarding future demonstrations at Crossgates Mall. Mall management cannot and will not allow this type of activity to occur and will be vigilant in enforcing the rules of conduct which provide a safe and comfortable environment for visitors, merchants and employees.

In light of recent events, it is important to note that Crossgates Mall has long been a safe, friendly atmosphere for shopping, dining and entertainment.

BR