Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded

Old 12-22-2005, 08:43 AM

Default Am I allowed to go with my instincts or will you insist I call?

Party $10/20. None of these players is particularly stupid or overaggressive.

I have JJ in the BB.

UTG folds, MP raises, CO 3-bets, button folds, SB folds, I cap, UTG & MP call.

Flop: 8 7 3 rainbow. I bet, UTG calls, CO raises, I 3-bet, UTG caps, we both call.

My brain tells me UTG has hit a set. I could well still be in front of CO but who knows?

Am I allowed to check-fold the turn if it's not a J? 12-1 aint enough pot odds to draw if I'm losing. I am getting 8-1 to call down assuming CO hangs around. I want to fold.

Guy.
Old 12-22-2005, 08:49 AM

Default Re: Am I allowed to go with my instincts or will you insist I call?

I would check/fold.
Old 12-22-2005, 09:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would check/fold.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 12-22-2005, 03:46 PM

Checkfolding the turn unimproved seems reasonable. If you pick up the gutshot keep going for 1 bet.

If I ever have T9s in the MP versus thinking players I need to remember this [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img].
Old 12-22-2005, 03:51 PM

Obviously don't fold for one if the turn is a 9 or 10. Otherwise, trust your read. Your description of the action is a bit confusing, but I think you're okay to fold here. The best you could hope is very aggressively played A8/99/TT/87 (the latter you'd have odds to draw out on). But realistically, you are beat too often compared to the effective odds for a calldown.
Old 12-22-2005, 04:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Party $10/20. None of these players is particularly stupid or overaggressive.

I have JJ in the BB.

<font color="red">UTG folds</font> , MP raises, CO 3-bets, button folds, SB folds, I cap, UTG &amp; MP call.

Flop: 8 7 3 rainbow. I bet, UTG calls, CO raises, I 3-bet, UTG caps, we both call.

My brain tells me UTG has hit a set. I could well still be in front of CO but who knows?

Am I allowed to check-fold the turn if it's not a J? 12-1 aint enough pot odds to draw if I'm losing. I am getting 8-1 to call down assuming CO hangs around. I want to fold.

Guy.

[/ QUOTE ]

So UTG really LIMPED (?), then called 3 more cold when it came back to him? Do we have any reads on either player?

I think check/folding is reasonable, but I wouldn't be 100% you are behind. Chances are good you are behind, but the pot is ja huge now. Maybe UTG is capping a draw, maybe he's capping a set or two pair...who knows, we have no read on UTG. Is CO a monkey or does he only cap reasonable holdings? Would he cap 99 or TT in this spot figuring he has the best hand?

Generally vs unknowns and given the fireworks, I am looking to improve on the turn with a J or gutshot. Checking is obvious, UTG will likely lead and you have an easy fold if MP raises otherwise call if you hit the gutshot draw and are closing the action. I don't really like folding, but being multiway and given the action, you have to assume you are behind unless both of them got out of line with some weak holdings (i.e. are mega LAGs, but without reads you can't make that assumption IMO). Also, you are likely to see a showdown and get more info about how they played their respective hands without putting more in.
Old 12-22-2005, 05:26 PM

A bit off topic.

Can I ask you about the rationale for the pf cap?

I assume that capping does not give you additional FE, since many people cap with pretty mediocre stuff. Is it just that you think you're best here enough to cap?