Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 12-21-2005, 07:54 PM

Default Re: Bellagio 5diamond Hand

[ QUOTE ]
Do you play this hand the same way verse Joe in a stars $150 tourney? Im just curious.

[/ QUOTE ]

This hand plays out much differently in an online tournament. We're nearly 300 blinds deep in this situation, with a slow blind structure that can reward conservative play. That is not something you encounter playing online.
Old 12-21-2005, 08:13 PM

Agreed. Bad comparison on my part. While, this tourney is obviously way out of my league. I mostly play $50-$250 online mtts, and some even lower limits. If this hand came up in my online MTTs in a very similar fashion, im sure my donkey self would reraise all in verse Joe. Because i'm not afraid to bust out.

While Joe could very well have you beat here, he also could just be making a move using his image and position. Preflop he prolly reraises with AA, KK. So QQ is the only hand I see what you are behind too. And I think him having an overpair to the flop is very possible also (77-1010). But more likely I think he's making a move.
Old 12-21-2005, 08:14 PM

There are so many things that can go wrong for awada its scary in that spot that the concept of it boggles my mind. Dags needs to not have a monster, and the raiser cant have AA/KK/QQ/JJ because he is never folding, and you have to have something marginal, and not something slowplayed. Yeah he's in good position, but man I don't know. Then again, the pot is big and he's risking comparatively little to win it. I cant run those moves live yet, and i think in the current climate (in any climate really) there's not much place for them. Guys dont know how to play deepstacks so the money is really in trapping them I think.
Old 12-21-2005, 08:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There are so many things that can go wrong for awada its scary in that spot that the concept of it boggles my mind. Dags needs to not have a monster, and the raiser cant have AA/KK/QQ/JJ because he is never folding, and you have to have something marginal, and not something slowplayed. Yeah he's in good position, but man I don't know. Then again, the pot is big and he's risking comparatively little to win it. I cant run those moves live yet, and i think in the current climate (in any climate really) there's not much place for them. Guys dont know how to play deepstacks so the money is really in trapping them I think.

[/ QUOTE ]

This has a concept I have been exploring in my mind and through discussions lately. So many of my tables lately in these big buyin live events have been insanely LAGGY. The only way I've been able to get chips at all is playing conservatively and getting value out of my winning hands. Of course, the table dynamics matter so much and I'm looking at a small sample size here, but it can't be discounted that there are a ton of LAGs out there now that dont fold.

I mean, I've had so many hands where MP will open to 5x the BB, the SB will reraise to 15x the BB, MP will just call. Flop will come like K83 and there is some action, etc. and then they turn over their cards and they've got A3 and KT?!? I mean, some of these players are just crazy and I really think it's hard to do anything but just wait for hands to get their chips, or wait for them to bust themselves.

If awada was making a move here, that's just amazing. I do often wonder if these guys are actually making plays in these spots or if they have hands. That's what makes them so good. Even us, as good players, can't figure them out. I mean, I would like to say that they always have it in spots like these, but there's no way for us to know.

Maybe Joe will stumble on this thread and give us some input.
Old 12-21-2005, 09:49 PM

For what its worth I play in these type events sometimes and agree totally with MLG and LuckyO. I think this is a very tough spot for Awada to be making a move, and if he is, he is taking such an a big risk that he probably deserves the reward of the pot. I think your preflop call set you up for this type of action, so although I think the call was fine, you now need to follow through with a fold to this type of action. A preflop raise had some danger as well, but I think it was preforable in comparison to inviting JDags and Awada into the pot. I think TAG is better at this spot in the tourney and a fold is tough but waranted.
Old 12-21-2005, 09:55 PM

What's going on with a 5-way raised pot? Is this a $20 tournament on Party?
Old 12-21-2005, 10:03 PM

lol, when was the last time you played with a 300 BB stack? It allows for profitably playing a lot more hands if you're good, and thinking you can profitable play a lot more hands if you arent.
Old 12-21-2005, 10:22 PM

If Awada has a 6 or 44, why not flat call? If he has QQ-AA, why didn't he reraise preflop?
Old 12-21-2005, 10:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]

If Awada has a 6 or 44, why not flat call?

[/ QUOTE ]

Underfulls and trips are not great hands to slow play in multiway pots.

Also, if you think you have best hand, its a good time to build the pot, hopefully someone's AA or KK is stuck to their hand and they can't let go.

Regards,
Woodguy