Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-18-2005, 08:01 PM

Default Re: A lot of trouble could have been avoided

Because it's staring you in the face I suppose it's harder to resist the urge to play it. An analogy could be drawn to a guy who likes to snort coke but knows it is against his own best interests to do so. He also knows he has a harder time resisting the impulse to snort coke if he is staring at a pile of it for an hour or so than if it is not in his site. Out of site out of mind so to speak.
Old 12-18-2005, 08:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I should clarify that this run began in september, when I was playing off a 50k roll. I'd lose a chunk playing BJ, and make it back at the tables.

Then I stopped playing the BJ and stayed at poker after I had to take 20k out to pay for tuition and a vacation.

Suddenly, after a bad run of cards, I was down to 5k.

At nopoint did I lose more than 20% of my actual playing roll in any given run, but it's still 25k i wish i had now that I'm rebuilding.

[/ QUOTE ]

this logic/justification is really terrible.
do you see why?

Many a winning poker-player has been fallen by logic like this ("I'd blow some of my winnings on sports-betting/drugs/hookers/expensive toys/-EV games because I could just make it back at the poker-tables).

I'm not trying to rub it in because obviously you've gotten pretty badly clobbered and I do, in fact, feel for you.
But I don't think the reasoning you are using to partly justify (perhaps the wrong word...whatever) your losses is really dangerous.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh no, this is no justification by any means. I'm well aware that every hand I play costs me money, and at a poker table I can only hope to earn my hourly rate and nothing more.

In reality I had hoped that the slim house edge would not have the drastic effect it has had.

The real point is that I'm a total moron for overplaying my bankroll at the BJ tables and I wanted to help stop others from doing the same by explaining that if you just delete the graphics files that hold the buttons for Blackjack you can no longer access the Blackjack site.
Old 12-18-2005, 08:38 PM

I dont see why anybody is arguing with you Gamblor. If it saves you money/pain etc. then do it. Logic is not the answer to everything..
Old 12-18-2005, 08:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Because it's staring you in the face

[/ QUOTE ]

Bingo.
Old 12-18-2005, 08:42 PM

BJ online is very -EV. First of all, they reshuffle the decks after every deal and they use from 4-8 decks. This basically takes away most of a good player's advantage.

Plus, since you don't actually see them reshuffle, unconsciously, you might think 1 deal has a relationship to the previous deal.
Old 12-18-2005, 08:57 PM

How many home runs do you have?
Old 12-18-2005, 08:59 PM

I dunno, this is over a span of 4 months, but there is a 25k discrepancy between my PT stats and my actual account #s, taking into account withdrawals, tourneys, and non-holdem games.

[ QUOTE ]
I prefer games where you can actually win longrun

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Because it's staring you in the face I suppose it's harder to resist the urge to play it. An analogy could be drawn to a guy who likes to snort coke but knows it is against his own best interests to do so. He also knows he has a harder time resisting the impulse to snort coke if he is staring at a pile of it for an hour or so than if it is not in his site. Out of site out of mind so to speak.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes..this makes sense.

I do play live blackjack occasionally I'll admit (usually card-counting so it's at least even EV) and sometimes even roulette since my GF likes that stupid game.
but I always bet the minimum and don't have those same urges to bet higher and higher.

I guess I just value my money too much in a way.

I used to deal blackjack for a few months and have seen how some people react to 'the rush' (or whatever you want to call it) and the compulsion to just keep betting higher and higher.
If they're winning then it's "riding the wave" (or hot streak).
If they're losing then it's "getting back what I lost the last hand" (some kind of double-up when you lose type system perhaps).

The psychology of all that stuff is kind of interesting to me.
Old 12-18-2005, 09:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Because it's staring you in the face

[/ QUOTE ]

Bingo.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope your Grandma doesn't knit, after all those needles are pretty darn sharp.

Jimbo