Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-04-2005, 02:14 AM

Default tough SB hand with JJ.

179 left out of 800 entrants. blinds are 100/200. im in average shape with about 5K. money is still far ways off. I have not really been paying attention to table.

Im in SB with JJ. UTG goes all in for his remaining T1600 chips. folded to MP player (6K stack) who just smooth calls the T1600. FOlded to me in SB. After some thought, I decide to fold.

UTG shows 99, MP has KQ suited. i would of flopped a set and riverd a boat.

thoughts....
Old 02-04-2005, 02:38 AM

Default Re: tough SB hand with JJ.

This has nothing to do with proper strategy or whatnot but when I cannot raise/reraise with the Jacks, I seldom play them. In a tournament of assumed average players reraising/raising almost always defines their hand. Hope this helps [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Cory
Old 02-04-2005, 02:09 PM

bump.

I would appreciate any input here. My main concern is am I playing to weak? Is a flop worth seeing here? his smooth call is what scared me.

Lately, it seems im always laying down key hands that would of given me a huge stack late in tourneys.
Old 02-04-2005, 03:35 PM

So, to apply some advice I've seen here...

First of all, you don't know how the MP plays. Applying some generalities about betting patterns, you're read of the MP's bet is that he wouldn't have just called without, what, AA/KK? Given that any pair is about a 4-1 dog to any higher pair, would you have called this with 22? JJ against KK is not much better than 22 against KK.

You have a hand that you think is way dominated, you aren't getting the odds to call, what's not to fold? Focus on the thought process that got you there, not on what happens later.

Look at it another way...if there was an EP min-raise, folded to you in LP and you folded J4 offsuit, would you be thinking "Damn, I should have called" if the flop came 444?

I hope you made a note on the MP, next time he does that, you can push... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Regards,

Gar
Old 02-04-2005, 03:53 PM

pokerraja,

I would have posted this hand up until my PF decision.
Will all the info its far too easy to say "raise it up"

Tough spot. Any raise has to be all in. If you are concerned with the flat call being AA, and undercard flop isn't going to make you feel better.

You don't have enough implied odds to call for the set.

I wish I didn't see the results because lately I have seen way more horrible flat calls with the likes of KQ rather than AA so I think I'm inclined to push, but I'm not sure how much the results are influencing me.

Regards,
Woodguy
Old 02-04-2005, 04:03 PM

Its suprising that the guy in MP didn't protect his investment more. Its too bad you didn't pay a little more attention to the table. The fact is you don't know if the guy going all-in has a good hand (when I'm the small stack and have AA or KK at a table with some large stacks I often go all-in in hopes that this play looks like I don't want to get called). You can be pretty sure that the caller thinks he has a good hand (I would put him on AA, KK, QQ or AK). This should be an easy fold.
Old 02-04-2005, 04:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Its too bad you didn't pay a little more attention to the table.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont pay much attention this early in a tourney. I usually have 2-3 tables running. But, even if i had some notes on this player, I dont think its going to help me much here. His smooth call is so scarey. Even a bad player can wake up with AA-QQ. And, If i push, im not ready for a race vs. AK or AQ here. I think times like this, i just try to play ABC poker.

Further more, the type of "notes" you would need on this player would have to be almost specifically "calls huge raises preflop with low pocket pairs". i mean, thats the only way i feel somewhat good about pushing here.