Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-06-2005, 12:10 PM

Default Uncharted territory

This was such an unusual hand and I was lost.

I have been at the table for 10 hands. PT notes on SB are "Loose, usually passive. Capable of occasional huge bluffs on the river". No notes on MP but he raised preflop 3 times in 10 hands but never really backed it up. I have folded 8 of ten hands preflop and have not shown a hand.

5 Max NL 50 Pokerroom

Stacks:
SB - Villian (68.60)
BB - Hero (74.70)
UTG (34.50)
UTG+1 (39.70)
MP - Villain 2(69.40)

SB posts a blind of .25, BB posts a blind of .5
Hero is dealt A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

UTG Calls (.5), UTG +1 Calls (.5), MP raises (2.50), SB calls (2.25), Hero raises (6.00), UTG folds, UTG +1 folds, MP calls (3.50), SB calls (3.50)

Flop (19.00) 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

SB checks, Hero checks, MP raises (12.00), SB calls (12.00), Hero calls (12.00)

Turn (55.00) 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

SB is all-in (50.60), as I am thinking MP types "(censored) Pokerroom - JJ I cant believe this (censored)", Hero ?

I assumed they both had medium PP. I suspected MP had caught trips and was under betting the flop to get action from an OP or overcards from me. So I was trapping on the flop with my call...very confused when SB called but didnt change my game plan. I though for a minute that maybe he had been passively playing AA or had made a straight. He would call large preflop raises with any suited connectors or any PP.

I usually play big hands fast but I was hoping that I could drag them both all in on the turn if they made sets. If the board paired I was prepared to slow down or fold.

Then SB pushes into the all spade board when I have the ace? I stared like a deer in the headlights while the timer ran down. Pure bluff? QQ with Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]? Or does he have the 8?

Thoughts on all streets appreciated. I'll share results later.
Old 01-06-2005, 12:44 PM

Default Re: Uncharted territory

I'm not the greatest at poker, but i do play and can hold my own a bit. I'm gonna put SB on a made str8 or a draw to a str8. You say he's loose with a little bluffing on the side so this may be a perfect opportunity for him to exercise that fact plus be loose enough to chase the str8.

I tell ya what though, i would've reraised the flop. I like to just end it right there and take it down. The pot is sizable and i hate to let people catch cards.

It's hard to let go of that nut flush. I would call here and keep him honest. At this point, only an 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] would kill you. Plus the fact that one more is coming.

I'd call it and let if fly!
Old 01-06-2005, 03:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I tell ya what though, i would've reraised the flop. I like to just end it right there and take it down. The pot is sizable and i hate to let people catch cards.

[/ QUOTE ]

Say what?
Old 01-07-2005, 10:49 AM

Why check the flop? There arent many hands you can expect to bet for you given that you have an AK, and the two nut spades.
Old 01-07-2005, 12:11 PM

Its a good question. I wanted to represent that the flush board concerned me, and giving MP a chance to bet a set aggressively. If he didnt have a set then I didnt think a free card for him could hurt me....if he did I knew he would bet.

I figured a flat call from me would tell him that I held the As but no flush. The 4th spade was bad news for me no matter which one it was, as it was either scaring everyone off or screwing me (as it should have done before the river rescued me).