Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2004, 11:18 PM

Default T.J. Cloutier willing to show cards...

I've seen T.J. show cards in major tournaments such as in the 1998 WSOP when he showed KQo from the BB after he check-raised Scotty Nguyen on the flop.

Then I see Barry Greenstein raise with AJs and T.J. go over the top of him with pocket Js. Then he shows the cards after Greenstein thinks and mucks. He also shown the flopped straight after he raised all-in when Greenstein flopped the top pair no kicker after Greenstein mucked. This was all on Poker Stars Invitational.

He's also shown some big folds too, so clearly he isn't afraid of giving away anything.

Some may call it good sportsmanship, but I feel he gives up a lot by doing what he does. How do you feel about the best pros showing?

Garland
Old 10-18-2004, 11:55 PM

Default Re: T.J. Cloutier willing to show cards...

I think hes one of the good 'ol boys of poker and he likes to have a little more home-gamish feel around hte table.
Old 10-19-2004, 01:01 AM

That, and as the announcers pointed out, he was only showing big hands and made hands, likely to set up a move later on.

THis sort of thing works against the more skilled players that are likely to remember moves you have made, but against the common low limit player, you would not want to show your hand as most of them can't remember what hand they had the previous deal much less what you had when you showed your cards an hour or two earlier.
Old 10-19-2004, 01:15 AM

He also showed his KJs missed flush to Paul Phillips in one of the WPT events, then in a later hand got him to lay down an overpair/flush draw on a 3-flush board to TPTK. Doesn't mean showing the earlier hand was the reason he got the better hand to fold (thinking TJ was chasing with the flush draw again), but then again...
Old 10-19-2004, 01:22 AM

he doesn't just do this on tv.
i played a hand with him where i folded on the river, two 7s on the board and he showed me the third 7, with a 4 kicker.
i do think he shows too often though.
Old 10-19-2004, 02:13 AM

I'm not really sure what he is giving up by showing made hands or missed opportunities. All he is doing is derailing most people's train of thought of putting him on hands. It almost makes it seem like he is establishing a rough friendship at the table that he is looking to exploit later.
Old 10-19-2004, 07:41 AM

when youre playing with the best in the world, i dont think showing your cards has any psychological edge whatsoever and therefore youre only displaying your game strategy. this is especially detrimental to tjs game because from what ive seen he has played a very predictable abc strategy against the other players.
Old 10-19-2004, 08:53 AM

I think Tj probably is showing to many hands. When he is playing at an average tournament table he probably makes better use of the information he gives out by understanding what his opponents will make of it. Against Barry G. and Doyle though I cant imagine that even he thinks he can outthink them.
Thats the criteria i use on showing cards. If im against opponents i think of as weak i show a lot as I know what im showing them and think i can use it to my advantage later on by knowing how they are going to interpret it. Against players who I view as good i rarely show as it gives them info and i dont want to get into a guessing game with sophisticated opponents (he know that I know that he knows that I...)
anyways just my thoughts,
matty
Old 10-19-2004, 12:05 PM

These guys are friends, im shure there having a good time.