Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2004, 04:16 PM

Default Re: Can I see your hand?

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />
generally in the US you have to show both cards to take a pot. also the bettor on the river is the one to has to show first, and if there's no betting on the river, well then we run into a fork in the road..

On last clarification....when you say the "bettor on the river" do mean the very first person who bet? For example if there is a raise, is the raiser now the bettor in your explanation or is the bettor still the bettor in your explanation...follow?

And thanks for the clarification, excellent reply.

[/ QUOTE ]

sorry, by "bettor" i meant last aggressor. in other words, if i bet the river, and you raise, and i call.. you have to show first.
Old 08-19-2004, 04:27 PM

IWTSTH
Old 08-19-2004, 07:50 PM

I am a poker dealer in Colorado. Our house rule differs from many places whereas only a player that has called all bets or equalized all action may request to see another players hand at showdown. Show one show all rule is religously enforced. Hope this helps illustrate how rules are implemented differantly from place to place.
Old 08-19-2004, 08:03 PM

I've always had a problem with the hypocracy incased in this rule. I'm curious as to why using this rule for information is considered to be bad form (other than the fact that it slows the action a little). It seems that if a person can see a bettors hand and get information, that the bettor himself should have the same rights as those that called him. They've all paid to see each others hands in my mind, why then should the caller be immune to exposing his style but the bettor must?
Old 08-20-2004, 03:41 AM

Its generally considered bad form because if you ask to see my hand, I have to show the whole table-- not just you. This gives the rest of the players free information on how to play against me.

In some sense, having just the bettor show is a way for you and me to give out the minimum amount of information. When the tables are reversed (I bet and you call), I will extend the same courtesy to you.

Since there is a pot to award, SOMEONE has to show first to determine the better hand. The logical person to show is the one that showed the most confidence in his hand by putting in the last bet or raise.

There are also a few practical points to not asking to see hands. You don't want to show up a calling station; let him keep calling. In some places, if you ask and the hand that is shown beats your hand, you will loose the pot.
Also, if someone asks to see my hand twice in a session, I will ask to see his hand on EVERY opportunity I get. In my card house I have to be in the hand at the river, but you can see this will start to give free info on your play to everyone.