Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2005, 02:31 PM

Default Re: Matusow\'s forward chip movement -- call???

Gus did this ageeees ago.

How quickly you youngsters forget the Great Dane.
Old 11-07-2005, 02:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This was such an absolute call and mistake by the dealer. The opponnent should have protested, it would have sent Mike off and probably earned Mike a time out after he told the guy to F... off.

I can see it being used by donks in future WSOP's, the call pump fake...

This was the worst hand played on all accounts last night, just brutal.

[/ QUOTE ]

The thing is though, had the guy protested and the floor ruled in Mike's favor (which COULD of happened, as after all, the announcer called it a 'Mike Matusow String Call move', which means Mike's gotten away with it before), then Mike would know that he was beaten, and the other guy would of ended up without getting those chips of Mike's.

I've had some questionable rulings by floors before, where I get taken aback as well.

Just this past weekend, I went all in, with pocket AA's as I was short stacked, the blinds being 400 and 800, and the guy on the button, raised it to 1800 total after we had gotten several limpers. I had 3800 in chips left, and was in the BB.

I looked down, found the pocket AA's and raised all in.

The dealer (who tends to mumble and can be sometimes hard to understand unless you've been around him a lot), called out SEVERAL times as he made his way around the table, how much more and how much total people needed to stay in.

It got back around to the Button guy, and he said how much? The dealer said '2800 more' (which was wrong), total of 3800.

Well, the kid on the button only heard the 2800 figure, and put out the extra 1k, and declared I call the 2800.

I said you call, he said yes I call. Jimmy (the Dealer) said, turn over your cards (since I was all in, and the SB had already folded), then once I flipped my Pocket A's, all of a sudden, Jimmy noticed the guy on the button was 1k short.

He told him he needed to put in another 1k chip since he called.

The guy protested, and said ... but I thought it was 2800! I've seen her cards now, I'd be foolish to call now (he later told me and I believed him, that he had had AK o/s)!

Floor Jimmy yelled.

Well, the floor came over, and the rule is, the floor will ONLY talk to the dealer, when trying to solve a dispute.

Jimmy neglected to tell him that he'd announced SEVERAL times what the total amount was to call to the entire table, BEFORE he got back to the guy on the button.

Well, the guy on the button said, I didn't hear how much the total all in amount was, as I was talking to my friend (the guy in the SB) at the time.

Well, said the floor, if you want, since you didn't hear, you can take back your extra (1k in) chips, and fold.

Then, the guy repeated, well, I'd be really stupid to call now, that I know she has pocket A's.

So, he took back the 1k, and folded, and I was then shorted 2k in chips I should of had (the 1k extra he had originally put in, and the other 1k for the full call).

I tried to insert the fact that Jimmy had announced the total amount several times to the table, but was told to be quiet by the floor, he'd ONLY listen to the dealer, and he'd made his ruling.

This even when another at the table tried to tell him that I was correct, that Jimmy had indeed said the total amount several times before he got to the guy who had raised it to 1800 before me.

Then the floor being a total jerk, when me and Mike (the kid that got out of having to call), were CALMLY and politely discussing what hand he had, and he was trying to tell me he was sorry I got cheated of the chips (he was being nice for real), not arguing (and neither of us were in a hand either), well the floor guy came over, and said "I said that's the end of it, I don't want it discussed anymore" and then Jimmy the dealer chimed in and said yeah, it's done ... don't talk about it anymore.

Well, I got kind of steamed, because Mike and myself were NOT causing a problem, but were just discussing it between to calm people, so I got up from the table to cool of a bit.

I then went and found my girlfriend (who had NOT seen what had happened), pulled her over into a corner away from the earshot of the table. She saw I was upset and asked me what was wrong. I started to tell her, and the floor seeing me talk to her, came over, listened for a sec, then looked pissed and said "I thought I told you I didn't want to hear you talking about that hand anymore. If you keep it up, I'll eject you from the tournament".

I was STUNNED ... I wasn't anywhere near the tables, wasn't talking to another player, was just talking to my girlfriend about it ... and here comes the gestopo telling me I can't talk about what happened to me to a NON player? Geez!

I ended up staying out for about a round because of all of this. Not because of the original call, but because of how I was treated AFTERWARDS by the floor and the dealer.

BTW ... it was a satelite event, and I ended up just a few spots from getting a seat. I don't know if I was affected by what the dealer had done to me or not (that is not finishing high enough to win a seat it the larger event).

Thus, sometimes it depends on who is the floor on these things, on how the ruling might go.

I was also surprised that Mike got away with doing that, and didn't get called and forced to call the bet period.
Old 11-07-2005, 03:04 PM

Where was this? I think the move here is to talk to the dealer so he can talk to the floor.
Old 11-07-2005, 03:09 PM

It was in Dayton, Ohio. Granted, it was a charity event, but it was put on by a group who puts these on for charities (the Charities hire them) several times a year, for the past several years. Thus, they were NOT green horns.

That said, this was the first time I'd seen this person acting as the floor.

I would of protested higher, but given how this jerk was acting, sometimes it's just better to keep your mouth shut.

The thing is though, the GP for the Main event was for 10k, which made it all the more irritating, since I was a tad cash poor and coudn't afford to cough up another $140 to enter again.
Old 11-07-2005, 03:14 PM

Ahhh, I see. I'll watch out for the frequently running charity event groups. Thanks.
Old 11-07-2005, 03:17 PM

you should not be too disappointed pocket As can lose. hes probably getting 7 to 1 on the call. even though hes like a 9 to 1 underdog he should almost call considering the benefit of the double up.
Old 11-07-2005, 04:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you should not be too disappointed pocket As can lose. hes probably getting 7 to 1 on the call. even though hes like a 9 to 1 underdog he should almost call considering the benefit of the double up.

[/ QUOTE ]

clearly you're living up to your name.
Old 11-08-2005, 09:45 PM

In a tournament the outcome of the hand affects everyone, since they are all competing to get all the chips. Hence the shown cards when all the $ is in and, in this case, the fact that anyone could/should have said the bet stood.

KJS