Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2005, 12:47 PM

Default Re: Why do people hit and run?

Not exactly what you're talking about, but a similar situation: check out my article in this month's magazine.
Old 11-04-2005, 01:27 PM

With the number of available tables online to sit down at, it is probably easier to move than to tighten up.
Old 11-04-2005, 01:28 PM

Ya got me. Yesterday I sat down and waited for an opponent. One showed up, bought in, posted the big blind.

I folded my option in the SB, he got up and left. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 11-04-2005, 01:36 PM

That's more of a give and go. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 11-05-2005, 12:42 AM

I don't play HU, but I do regularly hit and run in B&Ms. Why?

1) Because I'm not that great a player
2) Because I'd rather have the pleasure of a "won" room and dinner than bust my back grinding it out for a few dollars more
3) Because even though it's long term $ -EV, it's short term temperament +EV, and I go to B&Ms to be entertained, not make a living

I gave up playing online. My online playing career was a sort of hit and run - after a few tens of thousands of hands of HE, O8 and 7 stud at various microlimits levels, I left the tables a few hundred dollars ahead of where I started. Again, I'm not that great a player, and it seemed reasonable to quit while I was ahead.

But, I would H&R on an individual table, or at least look like I was Hitting and Running if, after a couple orbits, I decided that the table was too tough for me to beat reliably. I'd take my first decent win and leave for greener pastures.

If I'm at your table and I hit and run, be flattered, because in all likelihood, I've decided you're a better player than I, and I'd rather cut my losses.
Old 11-05-2005, 02:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i just started playing a lot of HU and I have found that a lot of (bad) players play a few hands, make 1 big score and then leave. Is there a psychological impetus for this or are they just dumbasses?

[/ QUOTE ]

How many years have you been playing poker, and what is your age?
Old 11-05-2005, 06:40 AM

They arent flattered, they want to win their money back and then some.

This is the same reason I get upset at B&M when they kick a drunk out right after he rivered me. "No, he needs to stay! I need to win my gaaaaaadamn money back!"
Old 11-05-2005, 11:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Ya got me. Yesterday I sat down and waited for an opponent. One showed up, bought in, posted the big blind.

I folded my option in the SB, he got up and left. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]I've done this to people before...it's really funny and I get a lot of pleasure from doing it. It's especially funny if it's someone you regularly play hu, then all the sudden this time they post sb and fold, you type out "THANKS FOR THE $25 CHUMP, I'M EATING GOOD TONGIHT!!!" and immediately leave.
Old 11-10-2005, 06:59 PM

I am guilty of doing this on occassion and overall I am a winning player. I dont use pokertracker/pokeroffice etc. and have been keeping "stats" very crudely for the past few years. essentially all I do is log in a sheet is what limits/site I played on and +/- profit. If I've been running cold, i.e. 3 losing days in a row and I find myself up one decent pot within the first 10 minutes of playing... I have just gotten up and quit for the day. Purely pyschological and many ppl would probably laugh at me for doing so but it seems to work for my mental well being and feels that I've broken out of the rut.
Old 11-10-2005, 10:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you type out "THANKS FOR THE $25 CHUMP, I'M EATING GOOD TONGIHT!!!" and immediately leave.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL