Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2005, 09:34 PM

Default nut flush hand from Stars $10 rebuy

No solid read, but I suspect opponent is decent (i.e. above average for $10 rebuy)

Blinds 1000/2000/a100

2 folds, MP limp (61K), fold, Hero calls with A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (75K), fold, SB completes (51K), BB checks (131K).

Flop: K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (Pot=8800)

Check, monster BB minbets 2000, MP raises to 9999, Hero calls, blinds fold.

Turn: Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (Pot~32,798)

Check, check.

River: 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

MP leads for 12K. He has ~37K behind. Hero has ~62K.

What should hero do? Why?

Comments on earlier streets also welcome.

Thanks,
Che
Old 10-24-2005, 09:41 PM

Default Re: nut flush hand from Stars $10 rebuy

I probably just call here. If he is somewhat insightful he probably realizes there is a decent chance you have a flush draw on the flop.

Checking the turn would be consistent with pocket sixes if he suspects you made your flush.

His river bet also makes a full house look possible as he would expect you to reraise if you did make your flush and then he could push in the remainder of his stack.
Old 10-24-2005, 09:45 PM

Ugh, I hate catching a flush with a card that pairs the board. I think you're ahead most of the time, here. The only hands you're really worried about are 66 and kq. QQ and KK are unlikely because he limped, and Q6 and Q2 are unlikely unless he's a total donk.

Best cases are TPTK (maybe with a spade), a lower flush, or something like QJ. All are possible. He probably only calls a push with the second two.

EDIT: Whoops, misread the hand. With him leading out, I push. I think you're ahead more often than you're behind here.
Old 10-24-2005, 09:54 PM

weird check on the turn. What do you make of the monsterBB's minbet on the flop? is it likely that he's simply isolating this weak bet? Was the monster BB doing this often?

I'm torn between just calling, minraising, and pushing..
Old 10-24-2005, 10:03 PM

I just call, he could have 66 or possibly KQ with the raise on the flop trying to push out any draws, then slowing down on the turn could me he is trying ot trap with the full house. I don't like a push because if you get a call, there's a good chance it is the full house. If you call and do lose, you still have 25bb and plenty of room to work
Old 10-24-2005, 10:05 PM

what does checking the turn accomplish?
Old 10-24-2005, 11:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What do you make of the monsterBB's minbet on the flop? is it likely that he's simply isolating this weak bet? Was the monster BB doing this often?

[/ QUOTE ]

Monster BB was making a lot of weak flop bets (and they were +EV on FE alone).

Since I gave MP credit for being at least semi-intelligent, I couldn't narrow his range much on the flop since he would probably raise with a set/two-pair to charge the draws while also raising with air to punish the big stack's lagginess - maybe not always raising with air due to my presence in the hand, but I had to consider it.
Old 10-24-2005, 11:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
what does checking the turn accomplish?

[/ QUOTE ]

Induces a river bluff from marginal hands...and the bluff could easily be all-in since villain only has 1.5*pot in his stack.

Also, keeps the pot small if the river pairs (or trips) the board, but the bluff inducement is by far the more important factor IMHO.
Old 10-24-2005, 11:40 PM

I played a kinda similar hand recently (with deeper stacks) where I close to minraised the river intending to fold to a push. (Then I called the push anyway and lost because sometimes, I'm a donkey.)

Despite the shallow stacks here, I would almost be OK with a minraise/fold solely because you are ahead most of the time and a minraise will be called by a lot of worse hands (such as a decent king) that will fold to a push. I haven't thought this through very well yet, though...but I've been just calling a lot of these blocking bets lately and I think that this is wrong more often than right.
Old 10-24-2005, 11:45 PM

Problem with calling the flop is that hands wont pay you off when you get there sometimes. If you get it all in you arent far behind and better hands will fold to a flop raise. Plus if you get it all in and hit they pay you off [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img].

I'm going to bet the turn 100% of the time though because there are hands that will pay you off now and not later when another spade or other card kills your action. Also some combo-draw hands may CR the turn.

On the river I probably raise but I'm really not going to be in that spot so often. In general i think your line is not so cohesive street to street.