Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-17-2005, 05:23 PM

Default Re: Has anyone ever.....

I once failed to raise someone -- a complete dickhead -- when I had the nuts. Not that it was the "official" nuts, but I knew I was winning because the ass had flipped over his cards after he raised me on the river the first time, thinking he was going to scoop in the pot.

I put in a 3-bet, but forgot I could keep going. The humiliation . . . [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]. He really deserved to be 5-bet after he CAPPED THE RIVER knowing that I raised him after looking at his hand.
Old 02-17-2005, 06:05 PM

I can understand anyone misreading their hole cards with a quick glance in a B&M.......

..... but last week I was on UB .25/50 NL with K5o in the BB, limped, flop was K5x (WHOOHOO), checked, LP bet the pot. I called, putting him on something like KJ. Turn was a blank, I checked, he potted again, I minraised. River was the 5 for my boat! I checked, he pushed, I called......

....and as his AK (suprised me) flipped over the chips went his way, I sickeningly realized that my hole cards (STARING ME IN THE FACE THE WHOLE TIME) had morphed into a K6o.

Ugh.

Regards,
Tim
Old 02-17-2005, 07:58 PM

I seem to do that once a month with a straight draw. It is my own fault though. I need to hold onto my cards better so my neighbors can not swap them after I have peeked at my hand.
Old 02-17-2005, 09:47 PM

As a dealer once I saw a hand go heads up on the river for 37 bets with a board of 99967 until one player was all in. At the same time both players turned their hands up and announced quad nines. At this point I thought my dealing days were over until I looked at the players cards. One player had 9A, the other 52. The 52 player looked at me, looked at his hand, looked at me again, pushed away from the table and quietly exited the room. I have never seen him since.
Old 02-18-2005, 09:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Actually, unless the opponent is drunk or nuts, it's unusual to go beyond a 5 bet live without the nuts.

Online, there's a cap built in. But live it's like:

1 bet (I have a hand)
2 bet (me too)
3 bet (mine's real strong)
4 bet (well it better be the nuts)
5 bet (yup, it's the nuts)
6 bet (I have the nuts, so either I win or we chop)

[/ QUOTE ]

Not true. I once went about nine bets on the river with quad aces vs a guy who had like the 7th nut with 99 on an AAAxx board. After about the 4th bet I was pretty convinced there were 5 aces in the deck and was just praying my kicker was bigger than his [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 02-18-2005, 09:43 AM

Your hand was almost indentical to a 2/4 hand I played at the Orleans last year--although I was the player with the QJs str8flush vs. the A-high flush. In that hand, since it was very obvious from the play of prior streets that my opponent had a flush, I only called the river three-bet HU, since I didn't see my own str8flush. And when my young, drunk opponent tabled his flush, I almost folded my hand. As I flipped over my cards in resignation, someone blurted out "You have a straight flush!"

At least I received the pot and an ill-fitting baseball cap for my efforts. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 02-18-2005, 05:10 PM

Yeah...

On a positive note, I'm on the .25/.50 at Pacific last night and I'm two tabling Paradise at the same time. At Pacific, I'm dealt 7,2o in the big blind. It's capped by the time it gets to me and I fold (OOPS...I HIT THE DAMN CALL BUTTON!!).

The flop comes 7,7,7 and I'm able to slow play the maniacs for 45 big bets on a total loser hand.
Old 02-18-2005, 09:53 PM

Regarding going crazy on the river heads-up, I saw the damndest thing a couple of years ago at the Trop poker room in AC. Sitting at a 5-10 stud table, two fellas are heads up on the river, raise, raise, raise, raise, raise, raise, raise, fold. Yup... guy re-raised three times, then folded. He shot off some expletives, then left the table in a huff. Didn't look drunk. No one at the table could believe it.

Now THAT's stupid.
Old 02-19-2005, 12:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
eah...

I'm dealt 7,2o in the big blind. It's capped by the time it gets to me and I fold (OOPS...I HIT THE DAMN CALL BUTTON!!).

The flop comes 7,7,7 and I'm able to slow play the maniacs for 45 big bets on a total loser hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

HA! That's a myth - the HAMMER is a top ten starting hand (or at least it is in blogger tournaments, where the side pizes make it worth playing).