Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-21-2005, 01:49 AM

Default How do you beat turbo tournaments?

Situation:

B&M tournament
$45 buyin
100 or so enter (today was 120)
First is $1500 and Second is $800 (So split is 1150, give or take 50)
Starts with tables of 11 people.

Blinds start at 50/100 and you have 1500 to start with.
Blinds double every 20 minutes.

Any suggestions?
Old 04-21-2005, 02:17 AM

Default Re: How do you beat turbo tournaments?

[ QUOTE ]
Situation:

B&M tournament
$45 buyin
100 or so enter (today was 120)
First is $1500 and Second is $800 (So split is 1150, give or take 50)
Starts with tables of 11 people.

Blinds start at 50/100 and you have 1500 to start with.
Blinds double every 20 minutes.

Any suggestions?

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, 15 BB's to start and going up in a hurry huh? I don't play many turbos and certainly wouldn't consider myself an expert in them but here's my thoughts...

In my experience, tourney structures such as this create a chaotic environment from the get-go. DO NOT get caught up in the early rush to double up. Remain just as tight as you would in a tourney that started with the blinds at 10-20. The first hand you play is CRUCIAL! You need to wait for a premium pocket pair and min re-raise from LP or limp in with it from EP. Don't worry about getting your limp raised, chances are much more likely it will with this structure then push to isolate the over-aggressive raiser. You'll be able to estimate your odds of winning this thing within the first 90 minutes.
Reads are huge. Pay very special attention to blind defense because blind steals are huge right off the bat. When you're caught stealing, jump ship immediately. You can't afford to spew a single chip that's without purpose. Auto-muck suited connectors and PP lower than 66 from MP2 or earlier position until you have 2X avg. stack. Stay away from limping hands that want a flop. You should be the least active person at your table through the first hour. By the 2nd hour, hopefully you have identified the 2 or three other solid players at your table because these are guys you'll now want to go after. They are the ones who have most likely noticed your solid pre-flop selection. You now want to be in pots with these guys because they are the most likely candidates to be respecting your raises once it's time to amp up the agression. If you managed to get 3X the avg. stack in the first hour, you are now the MOST active person at your table. If you're still there at the final table, go for broke. To finish top 2 you're gonna need to win your fair share of coin-flips. Now is the time to get crazy aggressive with everyone looking to survive.

Pep.
(Who has never come close to winning a multi-table turbo).
Old 04-21-2005, 02:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Wow, 15 BB's to start and going up in a hurry huh? I don't play many turbos and certainly wouldn't consider myself an expert in them but here's my thoughts...

In my experience, tourney structures such as this create a chaotic environment from the get-go. DO NOT get caught up in the early rush to double up. Remain just as tight as you would in a tourney that started with the blinds at 10-20. The first hand you play is CRUCIAL! You need to wait for a premium pocket pair and min re-raise from LP or limp in with it from EP. Don't worry about getting your limp raised, chances are much more likely it will with this structure then push to isolate the over-aggressive raiser. You'll be able to estimate your odds of winning this thing within the first 90 minutes.
Reads are huge. Pay very special attention to blind defense because blind steals are huge right off the bat. When you're caught stealing, jump ship immediately. You can't afford to spew a single chip that's without purpose. Auto-muck suited connectors and PP lower than 66 from MP2 or earlier position until you have 2X avg. stack. Stay away from limping hands that want a flop. You should be the least active person at your table through the first hour. By the 2nd hour, hopefully you have identified the 2 or three other solid players at your table because these are guys you'll now want to go after. They are the ones who have most likely noticed your solid pre-flop selection. You now want to be in pots with these guys because they are the most likely candidates to be respecting your raises once it's time to amp up the agression. If you managed to get 3X the avg. stack in the first hour, you are now the MOST active person at your table. If you're still there at the final table, go for broke. To finish top 2 you're gonna need to win your fair share of coin-flips. Now is the time to get crazy aggressive with everyone looking to survive.

Pep.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is good advise [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

What if the whole table is tight? What do you do then, raise a lot?

Also, 77 first hand UTG. Fold/Limp/Raise?
Old 04-21-2005, 02:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Pep.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is good advise [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

What if the whole table is tight? What do you do then, raise a lot?

Also, 77 first hand UTG. Fold/Limp/Raise?

[/ QUOTE ]

If the whole table is tight, that's surprising (and disappointing) but you don't start "raising a lot". Remain tight. It's imperative your initial chip count goes up and not down.

Regarding 77 UTG on the VERY FIRST hand, I'm gonna go against my own advice and say it's okay to limp in for set value only.