Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2005, 07:09 PM

Default Looking for Book/DVD Recommendations for young poker students

Recently I have been teaching poker to an 8 year old and a 13 year old, based on their dad's interest in having them learn. They are both very smart, and already fairly proficient in sit and go's. What I'd like them to learn about is proper single table tournament strategy in no limit hold em.

I also want them to learn concepts of how to play differently when the game is 9 handed and when it is short handed. The DVD/books have to be fairly simple to understand and not highly mathematic in detail if possible.

Does anyone have any recommendations?
Old 12-05-2005, 07:21 PM

Default Re: Looking for Book/DVD Recommendations for young poker students

This post sickens me for some reason. I believe most 2+2 works will beyond them, maybe Harrington on Hold'em Vol. 1 would be good?
Old 12-05-2005, 11:28 PM

What is their dad's interest in having them learn, does he plan on putting them to work in online games so he can retire?
Not a bad idea. Phil Gordon's Little Green Book is the easiest NLH book to understand that I can think of.
Old 12-06-2005, 12:10 AM

Thanks for the info. The dad is interested in having them learn simply to teach them investing concepts applied to a practical system such as in poker. When they are old enough I suppose he will let them play online if they are good.
Old 12-06-2005, 02:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This post sickens me for some reason. I believe most 2+2 works will beyond them, maybe Harrington on Hold'em Vol. 1 would be good?

[/ QUOTE ]

No way, now why would a father that rationalizes the practicality of poker to his young children sicken you? I mean, isn't it a normal and healthy thing to do?

It is pretty disturbing that a father would teach gambling no matter how pragmatic it seems. Even a hardcore gambler like Barry Greenstein doesn't/didn't do this. In fact, I think he refused to do so until they finish college. Call me a square, but reading, arithmetic, and algebra are more important at a young age (a.k.a. schooling)...not to mention other kid things.
Old 12-06-2005, 02:40 AM

Howard Lederer's Secrets of No Limit Hold'em and "more" Secrets of No Limit Hold'em are really easy to understand. Lederer really goes through everything slowly and thoroughly. I got my copies a few months ago and thought they were really well done. There happens to be some really nice deals on these DVDs on amazon these days. Might be a nice time to grab a copy.
Old 12-06-2005, 09:42 AM

I think an 8 year old would have a hard time comprehending any book about poker. I wouldn't think the childs vocabulary would be very extensive.
Old 12-06-2005, 01:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No way, now why would a father that rationalizes the practicality of poker to his young children sicken you? I mean, isn't it a normal and healthy thing to do?

It is pretty disturbing that a father would teach gambling no matter how pragmatic it seems. Even a hardcore gambler like Barry Greenstein doesn't/didn't do this. In fact, I think he refused to do so until they finish college. Call me a square, but reading, arithmetic, and algebra are more important at a young age (a.k.a. schooling)...not to mention other kid things.

[/ QUOTE ]

Totally agree!
Old 12-16-2005, 03:18 PM