Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-03-2005, 11:47 PM

Default 25NL AQ hand

25NL, effective stacks 25

Preflop: Hero is in BB with A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
UTG calls, SB completes, Hero checks

Flop:
6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
SB bets .25, Hero raises .75 to 1 total, UTG calls.

Turn: Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
SB bets .25, Hero raises to 2, UTG re-raises to 4, SB folds, Hero calls.

River: 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Hero checks, UTG bets pushes, hero calls.

Reads: I just sat, but the first hand I see is Villian donking all in a pair on a paired board, loses. Then proceeded to get AA in the BB, checks it, and hits a set on turn. Basically, hes a donk, as far as i can tell. I asked myself who was stupider between him and another donk, and he won. Results to follow.
Old 12-03-2005, 11:48 PM

Default Re: 25NL AQ hand

Raise preflop. Pot flop.
Old 12-03-2005, 11:50 PM

I dont like raising PF OOP with a hand that will at best make TPTK on average. Im trying to minimize playing TPTK OOP. I did pot the flop btw.
Old 12-04-2005, 02:07 AM

PF play is fine, raising is an option but calling is fine as long as you dont make a habit of it. flop play is standard maybe i make it $1 (easily callable with Flush draw and extracts value) but thats being picky.
You have to raise the turn, it gives your hand away but i have him on a weaker Q anyway
Old 12-04-2005, 02:24 AM

Well, villian has 88 and MHING...Got him back later when I turned a set of queens against ANOTHER slowplayed set. Felt good, I mean real good.
Old 12-04-2005, 02:59 AM

I always like to preflop raise to get Q,6 to fold in the SB. You don't want anyone to luck out on a free flop when you are all geared up to put some money in there.
The reraise on turn is a really bad sign, and the push on the river seals your fate. I fold here most of the time, even with this hand. Is that too timid, or smart, I'm not sure.
Old 12-04-2005, 02:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well, villian has 88 and MHING...Got him back later when I turned a set of queens against ANOTHER slowplayed set. Felt good, I mean real good.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hitting your 2-outer felt good after you over bet TPTK against a set of 8s? Huh, can we play heads up sometime?

A pf raise lets you better define what he has. If he calls, most likely he has some sort of A-big or he's got a PP hoping to spike a set. You can better understand what is going on when he cold calls your flop bet.