Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics

Old 09-07-2005, 10:47 PM

Default Re: M had enough

[ QUOTE ]
...To those that are partisan to the point of being blind to all else: that sort of attitude is a large and real part of the problem in this country. Solutions don't come from bashing the opposing side; they come from seeking real solutions. Real solutions require real analysis. Real analysis requires NOT just towing a party line, whether it be Democrat, Republican or even Libertarian. So try taking off those blinders sometimes, and putting your rage and injury on the back burner for a while, and try looking at things from a fresh perspective on occasion...

[/ QUOTE ]

Truer words could not be spoken.
Old 09-07-2005, 11:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I believe that M did a very good job as moderator, but he has told me that he doesn't want to deal with it anymore. I can't say I blame him. So it's back to just me.

I contacted M to moderate for a specific reason awhile back. That issue seems to have been resolved, so perhaps politics doesn't need a user-mod. We'll see. In the meantime if people here feel that a particular user should be assigned and that person wants to moderate, pm me.

Anyway, M made his decision, so there's no use in spending more time critiquing his moderation. Carry on. Be respectful.

Mat

[/ QUOTE ]

I said it before and I'll say it again. Moderating a politics forum on the internet is sheer stupidity. I also can't believe that there are so many little crying babies who want to whine to an authority because someone called them stupid. And ON THE INTERNET no less! It's one thing to have it told to your face but to read it in print, ON THE INTERNET, well that could devastate a person for years, considering how only the most intelligent, erudite, well-mannered citizens participate in internet discussion.

When someone ON THE INTERNET calls you stupid, well you know it's serious.

natedogg
Old 09-07-2005, 11:36 PM

I found that when I participated a little more on the oot forum, it made moderation easier. So I'll try it here: What do people think of this stuff?

Is it stupid?
Old 09-07-2005, 11:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I also can't believe that there are so many little crying babies who want to whine to an authority because someone called them stupid.

[/ QUOTE ]

Couldn't agree more. I know that a lot of the complaints were a way to disagree with the idea of moderation (by overcoming the moderator), but this whole experience has been a low point for 2+2 for me.

The standards for moderation were poor. The idea of moderation, excluding "problem" posters, was a poor one. Overall, MMMMMMMMMMMMM did well (though I think he made 2 key errors -- 1 was to respond to all of his detractors and 2 was to lock too many threads where it sounded like the reasoning was, essentially, "I'm done with this topic.) The community itself behaved like children.
Old 09-07-2005, 11:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I found that when I participated a little more on the oot forum, it made moderation easier. So I'll try it here: What do people think of this stuff?

Is it stupid?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice try [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 09-07-2005, 11:54 PM

I'm serious. with all the focus on energy these days, I'd like to know if biodiesel is a viable alternative to gasoline. The link was to a related site.
Old 09-08-2005, 12:06 AM

Default If

[ QUOTE ]
[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Can we bring back Wogga now ?
Old 09-08-2005, 01:47 AM

Let me give you the short version of that.
No

Ok, slightly longer then... The problem with biodiesel and any other energy-crop is that, well, it's a crop, and it doesn't really stand scaling very well. Sooner or later we will need to make a choice, use the land to grow food or use it to grow energy. This goes for any crop that can only be grown in fertile land, there are some who claim biodiesel from algae, grown in wats in the desert, would be viable, but I remain unconvinced.

This does by no means mean that biodiesel or ethanol is useless, it is not but we can just switch to it and continue business as usual. We can't continue to grow (no pun intended) our energy needs as we have done if we are to rely on a crop.