Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2005, 01:44 PM

Default AQ Turns trips

Villain is LAG but not maniac (49/15/2.0). WSD is 25% so he'll fold if he doesn't have a hand. Otherwise I haven't seen anything noteworthy from him.

My table image is pretty tight right now. I'm running very cold and card-dead. I quite continuation betting (unless I have a hand) almost an hour ago because the table was calling with anything, making a C/B unprofitable. The few PFR's I'm making are getting a lot of respect...too much really - it's hard to make money just stealing blinds [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img].

Stacks:
Hero - 195
CO - 100.85

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ Hero (6 max, 6 handed) converter

MP ($503.15)
CO ($100.85)
Button ($303.05)
SB ($159.59)
Hero ($197)
UTG ($38.50)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $1.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to $7</font>, Button calls $7, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls $5.

Flop: ($22) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $15</font>, CO calls $15, Button folds.

<font color="green"> My bet here was mainly a bluff. When CO called I planned to fold the turn UI. </font>

Turn: ($52) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $35</font>, CO calls $35.

River: ($122) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $45</font>, CO calls $43.85 (All-In).

Final Pot: $210.85

Thoughts?
Old 11-17-2005, 01:51 PM

Default Re: AQ Turns trips

id make the value bet on the river 3/4 pot.
Old 11-17-2005, 01:56 PM

CO was all-in.
Old 11-17-2005, 01:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
CO was all-in.

[/ QUOTE ]

ah, perhaps i should work on my reading comprehension - not poker hehe.

everything seems nice and standard to me - nh.
Old 11-17-2005, 02:18 PM

Thanks. Got whipped pretty bad last night and devloped some tunnel-vision as the night went on. Miss more than a couple of reads on various villains, and thought this might have been one of them.

Villain showed KQ for a boat and MHING [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 11-17-2005, 02:35 PM

I like your play, but not your thought process. Most people are going to "check to the raiser" but you recognize that "strong hand leads". You've got second button so you actually have a semi-bluff and you're looking at a flush draw. I like this play against a LAG.

Ok, trips on the turn. Your lead still could be KJ. Oops, villain calls. No fear in this guy. What can he call with? AA maybe, AK would call, any JT, could be J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Hopefully it's not KK or KQ.

Catching the Q is either really good or really bad. For all I know this guy could bring it in with 33 and flop bottom set. When I'm in position with a big hand and somebody leads into me I don't want to raise and take away their action. I just quietly call behind.

Coulda, woulda, shoulda! I still like your flop lead. If you check the flop are you calling villain's $15 CB?
Old 11-17-2005, 02:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When I'm in position with a big hand and somebody leads into me I don't want to raise and take away their action. I just quietly call behind.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, I agree. Villain played this perfectly. I'm not so sure about my play, and would love a better line, if there is one. The problem here, is checking on any street will likely incude a bet from villain, regardless of his holding. I think that this would leave me in a more difficult position than betting and getting called did....maybe [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img].

[ QUOTE ]
Coulda, woulda, shoulda! I still like your flop lead. If you check the flop are you calling villain's $15 CB?

[/ QUOTE ]

Cold call the CB? No. My hand is too marginal, even if it does have a backdoor flush potential. The three lines I'm willing to consider here are bet/fold, check/raise, or check/fold. Villain's opening range here is somewhat wide, especially from the CO, so I think there's a reasonable chance I'm ahead here, but I'm vulnerable. If I'm going to play this hand, I want to play it aggressively and take it down now.
Old 11-17-2005, 03:58 PM

If you would call the same bet from villain then the semi-bluff is a better play. The problem is that you are representing at best AK. If I'm villain I would not give you credit for KK, or QQ because I think I would have heard from these pre-flop. So its either AK, AQ or you're representing my hand KQ which is least likely.

So, if you've represented probable AK, or maybe AQ what can villain have that merits a call?

OK, so trips come on the turn. What would you have done if you'd flopped QQK, led into villain, and he calls? This guy is the pre-flop raiser so he could, maybe, just might have a Big Pair, or AK (s, or os). So, are you going to check the turn in that case?

Clearly the correct play is to check the turn and see what villain does. You've already told him you now have trips, or at worst KKQQ. So what can villain represent that will make you think you have an hand thats worth calling with? Villains in a tough spot if he wants to keep you in the pot. You'll fold to a big bet, might call a small value bet, but maybe he could check and induce a bluff at the river? That's probably the best choice, and clearly you don't fall for that. You check the river and call a reasonable bet, probably, or maybe you make a tough fold.

Whad da ya think?
Old 11-17-2005, 04:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Villain is LAG but not maniac (49/15/2.0).

[/ QUOTE ]
Reraise preflop? Otherwise looks fine.
Old 11-17-2005, 04:40 PM

Thats basically exactly the same that I would of played it. If hes got a set or KQ so be it. You could check the river but he was going all in with anything and you where going to call.

If he did have a set or KQ, Id chalk it up to an unlucky turn.