Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2005, 04:42 PM

Default Need help folding Aces

I definitely need to play this hand better, have difficulty folding aces.

10 handed. $.25 and $.50 blinds. I'm the small blind with A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. Early position raises to $3, one late position caller. I raise to $10 and am called by the early position raiser, late position folds. Both of us started with roughly $45, although I have him outchipped by a few bucks.
Flop - 10 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] - Ack
I bet $15 and am called.
Turn - 10 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
I check, he moves all in for his remaining $17 and I reluctantly call.
I lost to A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] when a [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] came on the river.
How do I play this hand differently to either win the hand or lose less money?
Raise more preflop? If he still calls, then what?
Put in a smaller flop bet, maybe $5, and fold to a raise, or a big turn bet?
Make a bigger bet on the flop?
I need help here. Thanks
Old 11-17-2005, 04:45 PM

Default Re: Need help folding Aces

hint: everytime you put all your chips in with the best hand is a good thing.
Old 11-17-2005, 04:47 PM

This hand it seems you got your money in as a favourite, but generally this flop really sucks for you. You did however put in ~1/4 of your stack preflop so I'd rather just put it in right there and hope he doesn't have a [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] either... And if he has 2 then move on to the next hand
Old 11-17-2005, 04:48 PM

Number of pots won and money won are two completely irrelevent concepts in poker. Worry about maximizing EV, which I think you more or less accomplished here. Your continuation bet (CB) was correct on the flop. I'd be a little more worried about a 10 when you are thinking about your turn call, but I think you certainly had odds for it. So he got lucky and mized a heart, suck it up, cause i think you played it fine.
Old 11-17-2005, 04:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]

You dont get unlucky on the river!? You played the hand right and got unlucky. Getting the money in as that prohibitive a favorite is always good, even if you lose.
Old 11-17-2005, 05:02 PM

I think you played it right, I personally would have put him on an overpair with a heart or the Ah, I wouldn't bother putting him on a made flush.

I'd probably just push the turn (you don't have much left), if he somehow has hearts or a T, power to him.

You're too result oriented, you played it right and just got unlucky. Even if he had flopped his flush, it would still have been the correct move.

Welcome to variance.

EDIT: don't bet less PF, AA has reverse implied odds, so you want to commit as much money PF as possible (and still having them call), that way the times they suck out on you will not make up for the times your hand holds up.