Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2005, 12:45 PM

Default Friend\'s PPNL200 baby set.

This was a hand that my friend was in that he relayed to me. While I have more experience than him, I don't have much at this level, so I figured I would come to the best place there is (and then relay him the information so I sound smart...nice right?) Either way, he was wondering if he should have gotten away from this and what he did wrong.

I figure he probably should have gotten away from if after calling and being reraised on the flop, but I don't have expereience here, so please help sirs.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 6 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

<font color="#C00000">Hero ($181.24)</font>
BB ($122.79)
UTG ($350.80)
<font color="#C00000">MP ($101.10)</font>
CO ($197.55)
<font color="#C00000">Button ($227)</font>

Preflop: Hero is SB with 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. Hero posts a blind of $1.
UTG calls $2, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises to $6</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls $6, Hero (poster) calls $5, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG calls $4.

Flop: ($26) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP bets $15</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $40</font>, Hero calls $40, UTG folds,MP raises allin $80.10, Button calls $55.10, Hero is allin $135.24, Button calls $80.14.

Turn: (MP$308.30, SP$160.28) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>

River: (MP$308.30, SP$160.28) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>

Final Pot: $308.30
<font color="#009B00">Main Pot: $308.30, between Hero, MP and Button.</font> &gt; <font color="#FFFFFF">Pot won by Button ($308.30).</font>
<font color="#009B00">Side Pot: $160.28, between Hero and Button.</font> &gt; <font color="#FFFFFF">Pot won by Button ($160.28).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
Hero has 4c 4s (three of a kind, fours).
MP has Js Jd (one pair, jacks).
Button has Ts Th (three of a kind, tens).
Outcome: Button wins $308.30 and $160.28. </font>

Sorry about the converter, I had errors so I just kind of made-do. TIA

Edited to say: Sorry if this is an insta call and just bad luck. I have no experience here, I realize only 2 hands beat him. But I don't know if it is an insta-call, if so...Just let me know. TY.
Old 11-03-2005, 12:50 PM

Default Re: Friend\'s PPNL200 baby set.

personally i wouldnt be able to get away from that hand, but i am definitely not the strongest player.
Old 11-03-2005, 12:51 PM

Not much he could have done here, I can't see folding really.
Old 11-03-2005, 12:52 PM

wow...first let me say that MP is a major idiot and should be buddy listed.

This is a hard hand to get away from, but this is one of those times where it might be possible to get away from a set. That is a really dry board, no combo draws are possible and your friend is looking at a bet, a raise, his overcall, a reraise all in, then a call....honestly...nobody with just a ten is making these bets, and I think T8, T4 or 84 are all unlikely given that it was raised preflop. The BEST that your friend can hope for is to be up against something like QQ and AA or something....those hands could play it the same way. I'd be real worried after your friend cold called a bet and a raise when the button flat called the all in with the nuts....he's BEGGING for your friend to call or push and he got exactly what he wanted....button is either completely oblivious and didn't raise with his strong hand or he's really really good and put your friend on exactly what he had....nicely done by button.

All that being said, it's still a set, he's got less than a buy-in..i doubt i'm folding here but I would strongly consider it.
Old 11-03-2005, 12:52 PM

No way I fold this because if I did, I start crying like a little girl the times my opponents flip over AA,KK,QQ, or even a horribly overplayed AT and I would have won a huge pot.
Old 11-03-2005, 01:08 PM

This is an insta-call.
Old 11-03-2005, 02:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
wow...first let me say that MP is a major idiot and should be buddy listed.

This is a hard hand to get away from, but this is one of those times where it might be possible to get away from a set. That is a really dry board, no combo draws are possible and your friend is looking at a bet, a raise, his overcall, a reraise all in, then a call....honestly...nobody with just a ten is making these bets, and I think T8, T4 or 84 are all unlikely given that it was raised preflop. The BEST that your friend can hope for is to be up against something like QQ and AA or something....those hands could play it the same way. I'd be real worried after your friend cold called a bet and a raise when the button flat called the all in with the nuts....he's BEGGING for your friend to call or push and he got exactly what he wanted....button is either completely oblivious and didn't raise with his strong hand or he's really really good and put your friend on exactly what he had....nicely done by button.

All that being said, it's still a set, he's got less than a buy-in..i doubt i'm folding here but I would strongly consider it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the input from all, but this reply I enjoyed simply for the fact I thought almost all the same things. The only hands I worried about reading the hand was TT, 88, or JJ up.....

That said, 2 hands you lose to (TT,88) and 4 hands you win against (JJ,QQ,KK,AA...maybe AT)...

That said I would be calling here too. But he was mostly wondering if he did anything wrong. I didn't see much wrong with it. BUT....

You are dead on about the raise to $40..then JUST calling the allin with someone behind. Clearly he was trying to bait a call. And at that point I STRONGLY consider him having TT, 88, and maybe AA. I probably still call, but that screams to me that he wants me to come along in the hand.

Thanks for the replies.