Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2005, 09:00 AM

Default Ever OK to slow-play trips?

Hi all,

I know the proper play is normally to fast play your trips (especially in lower limits), but are there occasions when it's ok to sneak in a little more money to the turn with a slow play?

Examples would include a rainbow flop so there are no flush draws out there.

Last night I decided to slow play a flop of 998 rainbow (holding A9), J ended up coming and someone pushed all-in w/ QT. I was able to lay down my hand, but was still disgusted with myself for not fast-playing it like I do 95% of the time.

Thoughts?

If that 8 wasn't there (say, 993 rainbow), would it have been worth slow playing?
Old 10-04-2005, 09:16 AM

Default Re: Ever OK to slow-play trips?

i think i slowplayed once

AA on a AA5 board
Old 10-04-2005, 09:32 AM

Let's say you have 78 in BB, UTG raises and get like 4 callers. You call. The flop comes 772 rainbow. Then it's OK to try a checkraise. (if c/r suits to slowplay in your definition).
Old 10-04-2005, 09:34 AM

Or if you are HU against a bluff-maniac with position, then you can call flop and turn and pull the trigger on the river on a draw free board.
Old 10-04-2005, 09:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i think i slowplayed once

AA on a AA5 board

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course you lost when the K and Q hit the turn and river and villain turned over his JT for the royal flush, right?
Old 10-04-2005, 10:04 AM

I think the most important thing to know about slowplaying is that other people do it.
Old 10-04-2005, 11:23 AM

The biggest problem with slowplaying is that people do it at the wrong times with the wrong information. It steadily becomes more correct to slowplay as you narrow your opponents hand ranges down in comparison with the texture of the board.

Without any reads, i only slowplay when the board has no draws. E.G., you hold A9 on a board of 992r.

I will tax if there is any draw out there, unless i flop a complete monster.
Old 10-04-2005, 11:26 AM

Why not charge the draws even if you flopped a lock, they don't know you have done that...
Old 10-04-2005, 11:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Without any reads, i only slowplay when the board has no draws. E.G., you hold A9 on a board of 992r.

[/ QUOTE ]

Under what circumstance will a villain who would have folded to your flop bet call your turn bet? An overpair calls your flop bet (good), a 9 with a bad kicker calls your flop bet (better), an idiot with any pair might call your flop bet (best). AK, et al folds (so what they were folding anyway).

By checking you give a free card (not recommended), now a straight or flush draw might get frisky. The turn could give that overpair a full house. What do you do if the turn is a J and villain pushes? You probably have to call there, but you would have more information if you bet the flop.
Old 10-04-2005, 11:44 AM

depending on my kicker/position/opponents, i'll sometimes play open trips passively...that is checking and calling. it's really not that great of a hand cause usually the only time you get action is when you're behind. it's too easy for someone to (correctly) put you on a hand that beats them and fold.

playing it passively is not the same as slowplaying since you think you're ahead when you slowplay. you play passively when your hand is mediocre and you want to exercise some pot control.