Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-2003, 12:37 AM

Default Michelle Wie To Play Men\'s Event In Idaho

News tonight reports that Hogan-Nike-Buy.Com-Nationwide Albertson's Boise Open invited Wie to play and she's going to. Boise is actually a pretty big stop on the Nationwide Tour. The town likes it and the purse is big. I have always been too lazy to bother to attend, although there's some good golf played. I think the tickets will be a little harder to get now. I don't know a lot about the course, but I do remember some articles about a club pro who won a monday qualifier and couldn't believe how tough the set up was. Needless to say, the competition is tough. Will be interesting to see how she does. Tourn. is second week in September. So she has the summer to practice her putting and fire her dad as caddie.
Old 05-16-2003, 10:45 AM

Default Re: Michelle Wie To Play Men\'s Event In Idaho

HDPM do you think she will do well? It should certainly be good PR for the tour stop.
Old 05-16-2003, 12:30 PM

I'm not sure how she will do. She has unbelievable talent, a great swing, and hits the ball hard. But she's not a good putter by Nationwide Tour standards and I think she is still too fragile emotionally. Kind of harsh to say about a 13 y/o kid, but the way she and dad reacted to some things in the Dinah Shore wasn't good. I'm rooting for the kid to make it, but I'd like to see her get a different caddie and play for some money in practice rounds against some tough players. You just worry that her experience is going to be so abnormal that she won't progress in some areas. Her talent is very abnormal, so some of that is to be expected. But the dad issues bother me. What I would like to see is her get into college a little early and get out of dad's house. I think that would be great. But she still has 3-4 years before that. She has zero chance of a top 10 finish I think, and maybe a 5% or 10% chance to make the cut. I think she has the talent to someday compete with male professionals at least on the Nationwide Tour level. But she will have to putt a lot better.
Old 05-16-2003, 01:25 PM

it will be fun to follow what happens. i cant believe she will do well but who knows.

i heard for showing up they promised a tour of the arco reactor site and a lifetime supply of potatoes.-- sorry couldnt resist.
Old 05-16-2003, 01:51 PM

Who could turn down a tour of the arco reactor?

[img]/forums/images/icons/smirk.gif[/img]