Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2005, 04:08 PM

Default Help me with playing this QQ situation

A similar situation has come up twice for me recently. In both hands I am dealt QQ in an early position. In both hands I am reraised by an unknown player who just sat down at the table with a full buy-in, so I have absolutely no read. Both were $25NL 6-max

Hand #1 I'm UTG with QQ and I open for $1.25. Villain just posted on the BB this hand and it's folded to him and he makes it $3.75 to go.

What's my play here?

a)fold he's got AA or KK and at best I am in a race with AK I can find better spots to get a good percentage of my stack in.

b)three bet those bitches

c)flat call

Okay, in the hand I flat called. If an A or K flops I'm most likely going to fold. But the poker gods aren't letting me off easy. The flop is raggged, ten high.

So what's the plan if:

a)villain checks
b)villain pushes
c)villain bets pot
d)villain bets less than pot

....Villain bets $5
a) call
b) fold
c)raise

I certainly don't like option b, it seems weak. My feeling is he could be making a continuation bet with a missed AK, and I would be folding the best hand that is way ahead. I don't know how to feel about options a or c either. By my rough calculation there is ~$12 in the pot after he bets the flop and rake is taken out. If I raise here, I am pretty much committing my stack, and I don't think I get called by worse hands other than possibly JJ.

I could simply flat call. On the one hand, it could give an aggressive player with a busted AK another chance to bluff at me. I remember reading here a while back that at SSNL it is a big mistake to raise/reraise in a WA/WB situation. The idea as I understand it is pot control-minimize your losses with top pair hands when crushed, and get more value from bluffs by second best hands and draws when we are ahead. Is this a WA/WB situation where this is applicible? The problem I see here is that the pot has already grown to the size of half my stack. If I call the pot will be almost $20 on the turn and we both have ~$16 behind. Plus it just delays the tough decisions and gives me no more information as to where I stand.

Well I decided to try and apply the WA/WB philosophy here, incorrectly or not, and I simply called. The turn rags off and villain inst-pushes. The pot is laying me 2:1 do I:

a)call
b)easy fold he's got AA or KK

Hand #2 and I am again UTG with the ladies. This time villain posts behind the button. He's got $25 Again I open for $1.25 and it's folded to villain who makes it $3. Blinds get out of the way and once again I flat call.

The flop is ragged again but now I am OOP.

Do I:
a)check
b)bet

I decided to bet about 2/3 pot. Villain min-raises me, my move is:

a)fold he's obviously got AA or KK
b)all-in
c)call

Assuming I make it to the turn here without being all-in, what's my plan then?

Both of these hands have been troubling me for some time. I have given them much thought, and outside of simply dumping QQ to a reraise pre-flop I can't think of a line to take in either case where I don't get broke by AA or KK on an undercard flop.

I'm not sure if I'm giving too much credit, but at NL$25 unless I have observed otherwise I am putting the average player on AA-JJ and AK when they 2-bet pre-flop. So with QQ I am crushing JJ, but only slightly ahead of AK who will outflop me 40% of the time.

I have thought about 3-betting here. In a perfect world, villain will have AA or KK and push, and I can fold with clear concience. But what if say, in Hand #1 I make it $10 to go and villain flat calls? What then if the flop is ragged and he pushes his last $15 into a $20 pot? Is this an easy fold? Or is this a desperation play from a whiffed AK enough times to make getting the rest in profitable? My general feeling is that 3-betting with 100BB or less stacks pretty much commits me to getting all of my money in on any undercard flop (unless it's mono-suited maybe). Or is this incorrect thinking?