Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2005, 07:50 AM

Default Passive Fish Springs to Life on River (HU)

Villain in this hand is 63/3/.5 BEFORE we started to go to heads up. Mega-fish at the table just left and everyone dissapeared in one orbit except Villain and I. Villain loves to make "great" calls, once calling 3 pot sized bets on a JJ8QK board with T8 (beating the bettor's pocket 3s). This is the first time I've seen him take over the betting like this.

Hero is SB ($45) with J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Villain is BB ($40)

Pot Limit 25

Preflop:
Hero raises to .75, Villain calls .25

Flop ($1.5): J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Villain checks, Hero bets $1, Villain calls

Turn ($3.5): 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Villain checks, Hero bets $3.5, Villain calls

River ($10.5): 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Villain bets $10.5, Hero????

Obviously QT comes to mind as a possibility, but he's been known to call down with ANY piece of the board, and I've been checkraised on the turn once when he had top pair weak kicker.
Old 09-22-2005, 10:28 AM

Default Re: Passive Fish Springs to Life on River (HU)

This is KJ or a set of 4s IMO.
Old 09-22-2005, 10:43 AM

If he's a fish, I think this looks like a missed flush to be honest, I'd call, but hey who am I???
Old 09-22-2005, 10:46 AM

Fold, there are too many hands a calling station can have here that you are behind. It has been my experience that passive players won't show resistance to an opponent who has been betting at them unless they are holding two pair or better. The only possible hands he could have that you beat are 64 or 94. The way he played it, I see two possibilities: He flopped a set with 44 (or maybe JJ or KK if he's ultra-passive). I have had this happen before when a passive player flops a set and calls the flop and turn and then bets/raises the river. The other possibility is that the river helped his 99 (passive fish hate to fold their pretty pocket pairs, even if they are underpairs to the board) J9, or QT, or maybe K9. Since you raised PF, he might not play back at you on the flop or turn TP/no kicker, but he aint gonna fold it if you bet. He hit his kicker on the river and he knows his hand is good.
Old 09-22-2005, 10:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If he's a fish, I think this looks like a missed flush to be honest, I'd call, but hey who am I???

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe I have no clue what I am talking about, but passive players generally don't call on every street and then bluff a whiffed flush draw when a PF raiser has been betting every street.
Old 09-22-2005, 03:12 PM

Default RESULTS

Who knows, I folded.