Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2005, 05:30 PM

Default General question regarding position and stack sizes

When you're deepstacked at a table and have a solid opponent on your left (who is also deepstacked) do you get up and leave or stay put?

What I mean what is the value of being deepstacked (out of position against a solid opponent who has you covered) vs. moving to another table where you have to start over with a normal stack. For comparison's sake lets assume the "other table" you'd be moving to has a comperable make-up (i.e. there is no specific reason to stay at the original table like an uber fish, other than the fact you're deepstacked)

Hope that makes sense. [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

J
Old 12-02-2005, 05:34 PM

Default Re: General question regarding position and stack sizes

Depends on your definition of solid opponent. If he is predictable (solid TAG, solid LAG) then I stay put and use his strength against him. I want his big stack too. Why go to another table where you are to bust 3 average players to equal the stack of one solid player?

This is predicated on the fact that you are not outclassed by the bigger stack, only that he is a solid player. If you are outclassed and there is no compelling reason to stay you should always leave.
Old 12-02-2005, 05:38 PM

If you are solid the solid opponent is going to be afraid of you too and stay out of your way. I will leave if its a solid LAG but a solid TAG is going to stay out of your way most of the time so it doesnt' really matter.
Old 12-02-2005, 05:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is predicated on the fact that you are not outclassed by the bigger stack

[/ QUOTE ]

Right now I'm outclassed by everyone. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

But I get what you guys are saying, I'm actually in this situation right now at my table, which is why I brought it up. He's a TAG, and he has been staying away from my pots for the most part...so I guess it's not a bad situation, I just need to be careful and not screw it up.

It's actually sort of interesting to think about what sort of ways you could alter your play if you were the solid player in position. Assuming you could get a read the other player was perhaps scared of you (or at least respected your play) I would think you could take some pots away from him pretty easily.

J
Old 12-02-2005, 05:46 PM

it's better to have him there because he will give up his blind easier when you raise from LP. just try to stay out of eachother's way unless you have a lock or stellar read.